Tools needed for new build - Not mentioned before

tc3nitro

I know this has been covered a thousand times before but I thought I would add a couple of items that were not mentioned when I asked/searched :

7/16 UNF tap - This is for the belt mounts I needed one of these for all 8 of mine as these were thick with powdercoat.

Dremel or equivalent - I would also recommend a flexible extension (Mine came from Amazon for less than £10) and loads of various size drum sanders (again I bought loads in a box from amazon.

22mm spanner - I mention this as a std tool kit will normally not go up to 22mm in the spanners and you need one for the front camber adjustment.

A decent sealant gun - I bust a few of the std guns when I left sealant for a few days and forgot to put screws in. This gun is brilliant - powerful and smooth and well worth the extra few £'s https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-applicator-gun-300ml/28862.

8mm spanner- Whilst I appreciate nearly everyone has one of this in their toolbox, I personally didn't have one that would fit the brake bleed nipples I had a couple of ratchet ones and some thicker ones but this fitted perfect https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/spanners-wrenches/halfords-advanced-combination-spanner.

A decent metric tap and drill set - Used mine loads during the build.

If your buying carbon to fit anywhere and need to trim and finish it then you should really consider using this: http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/tools-equipment-and-supplies/perma-grit-tools/32mm-rotary-disc-with-arbor.html it is also very useful for cutting the fiberglass as well and this for finishing http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/tools-equipment-and-supplies/perma-grit-tools/small-sanding-block.html.

I really hope this helps someone plan a build and cost up properly.

Mark

• Like 2

Don’t forget the Westfield Build Manual Parrot, who only says one thing, the thing it’s heard every owner say repeatedly during a build while trying to read and understand the build manual:

• Haha 3

And I'd pick up this from this list

You may also need one of these rivet-nut tool's, don't bother with the ones that look like a standard river tool as they are crap.  This is probably the best tool I have bought from a recommendation for this forum - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivnut-Rivetnut-Nutsert-Fitting-tool-M4-M5-M6-Kit-car-rivet-nut-special-insert/380904779400?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

In reality for the amount of riv nuts you need to place, you probably don't need the rivnut tool. I've gotten by with just a flat steel bar with a hole in it so far. Just Google "DIY rivnut tool" and you can save a bit of cash.  More easy to use in tight places than the bought tools too. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AndrewOBW said:

In reality for the amount of riv nuts you need to place, you probably don't need the rivnut tool. I've gotten by with just a flat steel bar with a hole in it so far. Just Google "DIY rivnut tool" and you can save a bit of cash.  More easy to use in tight places than the bought tools too. 

Agreed but I used quite a lot more than the standard WF build dictates this tool was the BIZZ and better than the 2 SEALY crap ones I bought that did about 3 rivnuts then broke

1 hour ago, AndrewOBW said:

A false economy I’d say. It’s a chicken and egg thing, there are officially so few Rivnuts so as to make it easier for the average builder to get away without buying a tool.

However, with a decent tool, I eventually got a Memfast one, and wished I’d done it years and several builds ago, after using the pop riveter style one for a long time. You realise just how many fastening would be much, much better done with Rivnuts. Everything from fixing the das to the scuttle, to securing the fuse boxes to the footwell cover plate, to the tunnel cover panels, and that’s before you even g t to mounting brackets and things on the chassis.

• Like 2

+1 Dave, when you have the ability to do them well it's surprising how often the rivnut is the right decision

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...