Flyposting

Captain Colonial

Lately, there’s been a huge increase around my way of flyposting on lampposts, road sign poles and telephone poles.  They’ve been mostly for raves, parties, or dodgy businesses selling clearout gear for a few days only like blinds and bicycles.

Naturally, the signs never get taken down by those who put them up to start with.  It’s usually attached with cable ties that haven’t even had the tails cut off, meaning you are in danger of being poked in the eye as you walk down the street.  They’re also ugly and an eyesore.

As flytipping is allegedly illegal, what’s the legal position if a local grumpy old man goes out armed with wire cutters and removes and destroys said illegally flyposted signs? (Notes: Not ones looking for missing pets or people or that sort of thing, or ones put up officially like planning applications, etc - old and grumpy but not heartless)

https://www.mylawyer.co.uk/graffiti-and-fly-posting-a-A76076D35092/

You should be able to report to your Council, although if they're not for legitimate business then there's nobody to prosecute. Personally, I'd remove any dodgy ones that aren't on private property...

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, wire cutters it is, then. :devil:  My local council don’t give two hoots, they just want their taxes with no guarantees that services will be provided.  I just finished a ten-month battle with my council over parking in front of our houses that took about 300 man-hours, a petition with 168 signatories, and four meetings with our councillors to resolve into going back to the way it’s been for the last 45 years. Idiots. :bangshead:

Make sure you put in an expenses claim for the hours spent. MP's and councilors are pretty good at that. No reason for anyone doing their work for them not to get their fair share...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just be careful Captain, there will be a council jobsworth just waiting for a bit of the plastic tie wrap to fall on the floor as you cut it. Never there when they are putting the things up ( I share you annoyance) but always about to pouch on someone who looks like they can pay a fine and won't chin them

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

... someone who looks like they can pay a fine and won't chin them

We are still talking about Scott right...?

• Haha 1

I resemble that remark, Mr. Chairman! :laugh: