Clutch pedal travel before actual movement

Skypeller

Hi just something I’ve remembered from my test drive in my new Westfield (collect it tomorrow) 

when pressing the clutch pedal there is a noticeable slack before you feel the pedal actually pull the clutch fork/lever ... is this something that I need to address or pretty normal on these with a type9 box? 

Gearchange is ok. No whines or crunches but just a little difficult to get into gear 1st & 5th if I recall. Nothing I can’t live with but something I will eventually want to address.

Thanks in advance for any replies

It's most likely just a buit of stretch in the cable. There should be an adjuster at one or the other end (sorry I can't be more specific I have a hydraulic clutch). So it could be at the pedal end or a barrel type adjuster on the lever end at the gearbox.

It's good to have a very small amount a slack but it shouldn't be that noticeable.

Once you have the car you'll be able to give some more specifics and better still some images. That'll help a lot with the responses to your issue.

If a type9 cable clutch the adjustment is gearbox end 2 x 17mm open ended spanners if I recall correctly. 2 nuts are locked together,undoo them adjust the lock back together it's very easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What DE04* said! Adjustment is at the gearbox end. It’s also quite common practice to adjust it until the release bearing is just contacting the clutch cover. This will shorten its life slightly, though in a Westfield, rather than a daily driver, it’s almost irrelevant! But what it does do is stop a slight rattle that you can get from the Type 9 at idle, in neutral, with no clutch depressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1