Graphite Spray recommendations ?

CraigHew

I've just carried out a little cosmetic job on my Pick-up truck I've been meaning to do for a while. The leaf springs and brake drums looked awful with surface rust, nothing to dangerous but aesthetically poor.

I purchased 4 cans of Slip-Plate from a local agricultural dealership. The actual product is great, dries within 20 mins and leaves a nice matt finish.  Problem is out of the 4 cans I bought, 3 simply blocked the nozzle to the point where the can couldn't be used.  I tried various methods to unblock the nozzles, tried different nozzle heads from my collection of cans in the garage but nothing would work.

Out of frustration I complained to the supplier and the quite kindly offered apologies and a full refund.

Can anyone recommend a similar (but better) product?

I'm quite keen to protect the diff, driveshafts and other stuff under the rear of the pickup.

I don't really want to use POR15 but may have to as a last resort.

Before and after photos...

attachment.jpg

attachment (2).jpg

attachment (3).jpg

attachment (4).jpg

attachment (5).jpg

OT but if anyone wants a quote on a cheap tarmac(mixed with derv) driveway Craig is your man .........:laugh:

• Haha 1

Thanks Kev. About as helpful as a fishnet condom....

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, worth a look at that, they do aerosols too....

Thanks for the heads up...

Even better as I use Opie regularly.  Do you just spray it neat?

Not sure what you're looking for. ACF50 is very, very good, but it's not a paint like finish, it doesn't ever really dry and can leave treated parts looking minging as dust and crap sticks to it. however the protection for hidden areas of the car is great, way better than WD40 type products. It does need topping up occasionally over winter on the Westfield, so would imagine needs more common topping up on a daily?

Just had a quick read on the Slip Plate website, it seems to do a similar job to ACF50, but in a different way! Also bear in mind, ACF50 is transparent as sprayed on, so if you're looking at hiding the rusty bits as well as protecting them, it's not ideal.

Good point Dave, haven't had chance to do some research but " coverage" is a must on the pickup.

Maybe I'll keep looking.

The slip plate was great, but just couldn't live with the cans blocking prematurely.   Cant find a UK distributor for liquid cans of the stuff hence the question for alternates.  Must say the stuff I managed to spray on the pickup leaf springs seems stable and exactly what I was after.....

It does, I must admit, I thought exactly the same when I looked on the web site; perfect for my pickups rear suspension!

Could be irrelivent but I like to liberally spray dintrol wax at any unsuspecting part of the underside of my camper.. either in autumn with a compressor fed gun or if it’s just i’ve got it on the ramp I might spot treat some bits with a can.  The nossel on the cans get blocked up after use... it’s horibble black gunky stuff...  but after reading the instructions I now  after spraying hold the tin upside down and spray out what’s left in the nossel and pick up pipe.  Seams to work... I think it’s probably true for all spray cans ..,