Scapa Flow Churchill Barriers, Block Ships & Italian Chapel by drone.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

If you love history then you will love this place on the Orkney Islands.

100% worth the trip.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another mini masterpiece!

My dad was in the merchant navy during the war and used to recall sailing those waters, so I must admit I found it particularly moving. (We had quite a few family members from his generation in the Royal and Merchant Navies, sadly many didn’t make it back.)

Directed by Geoffrey :laugh:

I can just imagine Gary shouting ' LEFT A BIT, RIGHT A BIT , DOWN A BIT ' :d

Really good stuff Geoffrey. Whats the ship on its side ? Is it wartime or just a ship that met its doom there ?

3 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Whats the ship on its side ? Is it wartime or just a ship that met its doom there ?

The ship is one of the block ships that where sunk in WW1 to provide barriers around Scapa Flow.

They where not successful as during WW2 a German submarine entered the harbour and sunk the Royal Oak.

Following that Winston Churchill ordered the barriers to be built that you can see that now carry the road.

• Thanks 1

Loved it last year, must go back.