Recent snap of your Westfield

SXRORY

24 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Did you hit something? 

I was overtaking and heard a small bang from the underside. Then there was misting on the inside of the windscreen and rear view mirror (which was oil). I walked back to see what it was, but couldn't see anything.

I quickly slowed, stopping when safe, but it will have been about half a mile from where the bang was. The oil light came on just as I was stopping, but I don't recall if the engine stalled or if I turned it off. It was all very quick. 

Not really sure what to do next. I'll ask for advice in tech talk.

• Sad 3

Due to house renovation I've not really had the Westfied out in 3 years, it was buried behind 70 square metres of reclaimed parquet floor, and a kitchen... I got it MOT'd a couple of months back but the landscaping side has dominated most of the summer.

I finally got it out and had a bit of a run this weekend. changed the rear brake pads, restuck the numberplate, re-aligned the headlights, welded (badly) the rattling heat shield.

I've missed it!

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-19 at 09.55.05_cae92874.jpg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Vogalogue said:

Due to house renovation I've not really had the Westfied out in 3 years, it was buried behind 70 square metres of reclaimed parquet floor, and a kitchen... I got it MOT'd a couple of months back but the landscaping side has dominated most of the summer.

I finally got it out and had a bit of a run this weekend. changed the rear brake pads, restuck the numberplate, re-aligned the headlights, welded (badly) the rattling heat shield.

I've missed it!

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-19 at 09.55.05_cae92874.jpg

How do you feel the GT86 compares to the Westfield for handling. I have contimplated one as an eventual successor to the Westie.

5 minutes ago, Ansoeb said:

GT86

Subaru BRZ

1 minute ago, Matt_S said:

Subaru BRZ

Cool, how does that one feel. I thought the were the same car bar a few component differences?

39 minutes ago, Matt_S said:

Subaru BRZ

It's a GR86 actually!

46 minutes ago, Ansoeb said:

How do you feel the GT86 compares to the Westfield for handling. I have contimplated one as an eventual successor to the Westie.

I'd say the handling is better, but point to point on twisties the Westfield will probably be faster due to weight / mechanical grip... but I'm someone who sees a clear divide between handling and road holding, where many seem to lump them together.
It's probably one of the most balanced things I've ever driven, it's playful and you can feel whats going on. There is pretty much no sound deadening so its a bit basic / raw for some, but we've all got Westfields so comparatively its luxury... I've taken it to Snetterton and Spa, and its Angelsey this weekend. 

They had very good press reviews! Chris Harris liked it plus won a few awards in general motoring press.

Here is me being a  hooligan at Spa!

received_3279146469329582-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1).gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt_S said:

Subaru BRZ

Are you sure…..They look like Toyota badges in the middle of the wheels to me 🤔🤣

2 hours ago, Ansoeb said:

Cool, how does that one feel. I thought the were the same car bar a few component differences?

Yeah I think there are very few differences?

55 minutes ago, Vogalogue said:

It's a GR86 actually!

I'd say the handling is better, but point to point on twisties the Westfield will probably be faster due to weight / mechanical grip... but I'm someone who sees a clear divide between handling and road holding, where many seem to lump them together.
It's probably one of the most balanced things I've ever driven, it's playful and you can feel whats going on. There is pretty much no sound deadening so its a bit basic / raw for some, but we've all got Westfields so comparatively its luxury... I've taken it to Snetterton and Spa, and its Angelsey this weekend. 

They had very good press reviews! Chris Harris liked it plus won a few awards in general motoring press.

Here is me being a  hooligan at Spa!

received_3279146469329582-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (1).gif

Great, your really getting the miles in. The GR version has the 2.4 boxer engine up from the 2.0 in the GT if I remember correctly. Does that make a noticeable improvement or have you not experienced the early version. I would class having a roof as a luxury and what's sound deadening!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Ansoeb said:

Great, your really getting the miles in. The GR version has the 2.4 boxer engine up from the 2.0 in the GT if I remember correctly. Does that make a noticeable improvement or have you not experienced the early version. I would class having a roof as a luxury and what's sound deadening!

Yup, although it has still only done 4,000 miles (rolled over this weekend). - It is nice booking a track day and not worrying (too much) about the weather. I'm a fair weather Westfielder.

It’s basically the next generation, the same basic platform, with a lot of shared parts, but stiffer, and generally improved and refined a bit. the 2.4 has much better torque delivery than the old 2.0. it’s not what I'd call fast, but that's not what it is about. Oh, and the back seats are cosmetic only!

In terms of BRZ, we never got the 2nd gen BRZ here, but it’s basically a badge engineering exercise, with a few trim differences and things like different maps and minor suspension changes. Most of the parts underneath say "Subaru". The 2nd gen cars are closer in design, I think the Toyota variant looks better.

It's a shame all UK stock is gone. The initial batch sold out in 90 minutes of going on sale, and they subsequently bought a second batch over for those already on the waiting list. EU safety regs ruled out any more over here. Should help residuals though!

A real shame as they released this for the Japanese / American market. Colours match my Westie, and it comes with nice brembos all round. 🤤

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Vogalogue said:

Yup, although it has still only done 4,000 miles (rolled over this weekend). - It is nice booking a track day and not worrying (too much) about the weather. I'm a fair weather Westfielder.

It’s basically the next generation, the same basic platform, with a lot of shared parts, but stiffer, and generally improved and refined a bit. the 2.4 has much better torque delivery than the old 2.0. it’s not what I'd call fast, but that's not what it is about. Oh, and the back seats are cosmetic only!

In terms of BRZ, we never got the 2nd gen BRZ here, but it’s basically a badge engineering exercise, with a few trim differences and things like different maps and minor suspension changes. Most of the parts underneath say "Subaru". The 2nd gen cars are closer in design, I think the Toyota variant looks better.

It's a shame all UK stock is gone. The initial batch sold out in 90 minutes of going on sale, and they subsequently bought a second batch over for those already on the waiting list. EU safety regs ruled out any more over here. Should help residuals though!

A real shame as they released this for the Japanese / American market. Colours match my Westie, and it comes with nice brembos all round. 🤤

Sounds like you got on the list at the right time. I like the Yaris GR also but the new version is starting at 44k, that's scary money for a shoe box size car 

9 minutes ago, Ansoeb said:

Sounds like you got on the list at the right time. I like the Yaris GR also but the new version is starting at 44k, that's scary money for a shoe box size car 

Yeah they are cashing in on the new version that's for sure. Amazing little cars, you really need to drive one and in the wet to appreciate how much grip they generate. 

15 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

Yeah they are cashing in on the new version that's for sure. Amazing little cars, you really need to drive one and in the wet to appreciate how much grip they generate. 

I've always liked the look of them. Trouble is it's bound to bring out the boy-racer in any bloke innit 😁

32 minutes ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

I've always liked the look of them. Trouble is it's bound to bring out the boy-racer in any bloke innit 😁

Yip, partly the reason I got rid of mine. I went everywhere at warp speed, something had to give before I lost my licence or worse. :o

• Haha 1

Toyota are also receiving a lot of flak lately for the engine that is prone to oil starvation in cornering, especially on track days, resulting in engine seizures.  This has been exacerbated by them not only offering track days to owners but also then denying engine warranty claims by interrogating the car’s ECU and GPS to determine if the car was on a track at the time of failure and claiming warranty terms prohibit using the car on a track!  YouTube is full of vids about it.

• Like 1