Newby - DIY new build - some questions !

tc3nitro

I really want to fit a new crate motor be it duratec or zetec. 

Where would be the best/cheapest place to source a new duratec or zetec ?

In big round numbers I believe it’s around £900 for a Zetec and £2400 for a Duratec. 

If they get back to you, can you confirm this though?

The topic has been covered in depth on other threads very recently if you do a quick search (I’ll try and find them post a link) - and generally a Zetec install can be quite a bit less (but Duratec is the better engine really)

Oh and don’t forget that even at £900, the engine is the cheap bit!

Yeah I’m well aware of that, once I get the pricing I’ll come back and update you.

i am tempted by the zetec due to cost.

I've been looking also. 

Chris's numbers are about right although powertorque tend to be a bit cheaper than burton.

http://www.burtonpower.com/ford-built-2-0-duratec-he-i4-std-crate-engine-new-fd2000.html

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/node/211

Although I think that zetec is plus vat.

I believe the price of the zetec has started to creep up due to most left now are autos and require a few mods (done by the supplier it seems) as they were a couple of hundred quid cheaper a year or so ago.

My Zetec was £900 inc vat delivered from Raceline just over two years ago. No idea what they are now. 

You don’t use the flywheel and clutch anyway. So not sure if that’s an issue?

13 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

You don’t use the flywheel and clutch anyway. So not sure if that’s an issue?

Westfield Special Edition comes with the original 2.0L flywheel and clutch - although I agree with you best to have a lighter flywheel and this doesn't always use the 240mm clutch - I have a TTV Racing 3.7 kg flywheel with an RS2000 215mm HD clutch fitted to mine.

5 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

Westfield Special Edition comes with the original 2.0L flywheel and clutch - although I agree with you best to have a lighter flywheel and this doesn't always use the 240mm clutch - I have a TTV Racing 3.7 kg flywheel with an RS2000 215mm HD clutch fitted to mine.

But the clutch plate on the Focus is the wrong size for the type 9 or MT75 gearbox. I still have the one I took off my crate engine. It’s not got the right number of splines. The flywheel is massive and stupidly heavy so you’d not want it anyway :d

• Like 1

Don't westfield just leave the flywheel off altogether on their fw specials? :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sdh2903 said:

Don't westfield just leave the flywheel off altogether on their fw specials? :p

That’s what makes them Special.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jonjh1964 said:

It’s all to do with which model range the crate engines were technically built for. In the case of Focus engines, that we seem to be left with now, many of the ancillaries aren’t used.