Jus brought a Westfield!...... Problem 1 how to move it...

Hairy toes eagle

Hello, 

Just brought myself my first Westfield and very excited about it. 

First hurdle is though that it's only just running, popping and banging which I think is the carborerters (fingers crossed) 

I can't really drive the car due to this so need to get it to a friend's garage. Thought about towing but couldn't see anywhere good on the car to tow from? 

Does anyone know a firm in Cheltenham or  Gloucester that would move it, its only about 4-5 miles thou, I wasn't sure if this would be to small a job for a professional firm. 

Any thoughts would be gratefully received, thank you. 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

Can you get it running well enough to drive it to the garage? It sounds like it might be as simple as a timing and/or carb tuning issue, so a strobe light and a screwdriver should be all you need to get it drivable to the garage. It might just be bad petrol if its been sat around for a while. If you aren't confident with this, take your friend round from the garage in exchange for a pint/coffee/donut, etc.

Cheers,
Bill

The safest way I've found to tow a Westfield type car to minimise risk of damage is to remove the nose cone and bonnet, place these in the boot of the tow car and then tie the rope around the front corner of the chassis at the junction of the horizontal and vertical tubes.

• Like 1

Congrats on buying a car. Some pictures will be good and a legal requirement for new members too :d. You havent said what engine and carbs or injection to give you a hand to resolving the problems.

Anyhow welcome to the club :ww:

Welcome to the club :) (or should I say mad house) 

I run/manage your local WSCC area club, if you're on Facebook, come and find us here

We meet at The Golden Heart every last Thursday of the month about 19:30.

About your question, either drive it if you can is the easier option, or trailer it over.  We have towed Westfield before but I wouldn't recommend it though. 

Welcome to the club.  When I needed to move my GBS Zero from Gloucester to Nottingham for IVA, I used a firm called ARC Recovery, in Quedgeley.  They weren't the cheapest but were able to cope with the low vehicle.  A normal recovery truck might have an issue.

If you do need to have it moved, Iain - http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/profile/12596-i-h-freelance-services/ is a member of the club, and a Club Trader, his company has moved cars for other members and is both equipped and experienced in moving low, tricky cars like Westfields.

If you have a suitable tow car, trailers can be hired for quite reasonable rates. I paid about £30 a day last time I needed one.

Otherwise, contact a few local recovery companies and see if they'll do it for sensible money.

It really isn't much fun trying to tow or be towed in a Westfield, specially if it's your first outing in it.

There are local members on our FB group with trailers. You never know if you reach out to them, they might be able to help

• Like 1

If not a friend of mine moves cars , he has a 3.5t Iveco which also has air ride on the back to get down really low . He's in the Forest but would do that although he is in Vegas for a couple of weeks depending on how quickly you want it moved . I can think of at least one person in the club near to you with a trailer as Tom says post on the Cotswolds Westfield page on FBook

Thank you all so much for your rapid and helpful responses, my mechanic friend thinks he can get a vehicle to move it. :d

Problem number two is how to tell the wife I've bought one?..... This problem can wait.

Thanks for the welcome Tom I know the Golden Heart and look forward to the day I can drive up the hill to meet you there. 

Thanks again for all the advice. 

Screenshot_20180221-201529.png

• Like 1

You're in trouble, you seem to have brought 2 Westfields  :laugh:

Jesus! Don't tell the wife that, I haven't told her about the first one yet. 

• Haha 1