Low flying..

Andrew

59 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I saw the Blue Angels at a display in the UK, many years ago.. possibly at a show at RAF Finningley? .. I agree they are spectacular! I remember the roll straight off the runway.. it really got your attention. :laugh:  

Yes, I was at that show too, about 25 years ago!   The Red Arrows wouldn't fly as the cloud cover was too low, but the Blue Angels flew as they had a special low level set for such conditions.  Great stuff.

Same show, they had a fly-by with s B-1B, a high speed low-level pass that was amazing.  He then did another unplanned pass (judging from the surprised tone to the announcer's voice) even faster but only just crossed the supersonic barrier at about 300' over the runway.  Now that was a BOOM!  It set off dozens of car alarms in the car park. :d 

2 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

Yes, I was at that show too, about 25 years ago!   The Red Arrows wouldn't fly as the cloud cover was too low, but the Blue Angels flew as they had a special low level set for such conditions.  Great stuff.

Same show, they had a fly-by with s B-1B, a high speed low-level pass that was amazing.  He then did another unplanned pass (judging from the surprised tone to the announcer's voice) even faster but only just crossed the supersonic barrier at about 300' over the runway.  Now that was a BOOM!  It set off dozens of car alarms in the car park. :d 

I don't remember a B1b, and I think I would have.. so maybe another show. I think I have the programme still, will see if I can find it. It would be about 20 to 25 years ago at a guess though.

52 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't remember a B1b, and I think I would have.. so maybe another show. I think I have the programme still, will see if I can find it. It would be about 20 to 25 years ago at a guess though.

Pretty sure it was the same show, the B-1B was on its way back to the States so it was a fly through (from Lakenheath / Mildenhall maybe?) rather than a scheduled part of the show.  It did one left to right pass over the runway and banked left, the circled the field wide and long, and started on another low pass.  I remember because the commentator was saying "Well this is unexpected, looks like he's making another pass" just as they went to full reheat, because you could see the spiral smoke contrails out the rear when he did when he was about four miles out.  When he went over the runway, you could see the shock wave clouds on the leading edges so you knew he was really hustling but it was eerily quiet and then BAM! Loved it :) 

They had a Vulcan in the show in its final season as well, and that thing on full Olympus reheat takeoff was still the loudest thing I've ever heard, made you and everything around you vibrate.

2 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

Pretty sure it was the same show, the B-1B was on its way back to the States so it was a fly through (from Lakenheath / Mildenhall maybe?) rather than a scheduled part of the show.  It did one left to right pass over the runway and banked left, the circled the field wide and long, and started on another low pass.  I remember because the commentator was saying "Well this is unexpected, looks like he's making another pass" just as they went to full reheat, because you could see the spiral smoke contrails out the rear when he did when he was about four miles out.  When he went over the runway, you could see the shock wave clouds on the leading edges so you knew he was really hustling but it was eerily quiet and then BAM! Loved it :) 

They had a Vulcan in the show in its final season as well, and that thing on full Olympus reheat takeoff was still the loudest thing I've ever heard, made you and everything around you vibrate.

Been doing a bit of googling..  The Blue Angels did the 1992 Finningley show, so I guess that's the one I was at. Could it have been a two day show though? B1 on one day and not the other? 

I remember a very similar scenario to your B1 appearance, but it was a B52. Did a very steep climb out on it's way home to the states. Google seems to suggest that was the following year though. I went to a few airshows back then so I could well have been there too. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Been doing a bit of googling..  The Blue Angels did the 1992 Finningley show, so I guess that's the one I was at. Could it have been a two day show though? B1 on one day and not the other? 

I remember a very similar scenario to your B1 appearance, but it was a B52. Did a very steep climb out on it's way home to the states. Google seems to suggest that was the following year though. I went to a few airshows back then so I could well have been there too. 

That's the one, my grandson was coming up to two years old and was with me with his ear defenders.  Must have been on the day you weren't there and as I say, it was only passing through on return to the States, never landed at Finningley.  First pass was wings unswept, second pass at speed, wings fully swept.  Anyway, great memories :)

• Like 1

B1B was one of my favourites too, take off on full afterburner was incredible (along with the SR71 which I used to see regularly as a teenager as well as Phantom F4's and F111's).

I really miss the Mildenhall Air show. Great shame the day security caused them to cease.

Still see C5's flying in regularly and if you stand at the main road end you're greeted with this

F15's now but soon to be replaced with F35's down the road at Lakenheath. Seen a few if them too visiting from other bases:t-up:

• Thanks 1

Just found this one, view from the inside of the cockpit in the REO's seat facing forward.  Flying starts at 11:00

• Like 1