Lawnmower advice

DonPeffers

Hoping to get some advice from the collective.

I have a flattish lawn front and back/ 3 bed semi and have previously had 2 hover flymos (33cm blade, 1400w, 12 mtr cable) which both lasted 12 years---however the latest one (now 3 years old) has had two problems with the on switch which is very flimsy made.  Switch and capacitor can be replaced-- cost about £15 + delivery-- but doesn't look as if it will be reliable.

I had briefly tried a Bosch Rotak 340 with flimsy, distorted grassbox (two halves clip together) and only 10 mtr cable, so needed extension--so rejected mower.

Any advice regarding a well made reliable mower gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Recently bought a Mountfield cordless rechargeable 48v mower, it came with a couple of 2ah batteries, though we have added another 4ah battery as we do have a couple of lawns to do plus I do my parents, so far have been impressed.

(edited not 24v but 48v and used for first cut this year which was tough going)

Does it have to be lecy..? Re-read the post to see if you said, but couldn't see anything. I used to have lecy mowers but when I got a petrol one, the freedom of being able to wander up and down almost all day and not worry about moving over the cord is a massive plus.

Also they do have a lot of cutting power so if any areas are a bit bushy, just raise the height and raze the weeds.

And there is something lovely about the smell of petrol on a warm sunday...

I do like my Hayter Rotary (not cylinder), feels well made - but next time I would get the model with a 'flywheel' because mine can 'hunt' a bit, still cuts perfectly, just the variation on rpm niggles my OCD.

And it is well made, ever since Linda took over mowing duties, she's not managed to do anything more than scratch the paint

Sheep or goats.  Work all day long and take the grass right down.  You even get bonus wool or milk, and lamb chops if you change models regularly.  You'll be the talk of the neighbourhood.

• Haha 1

Lawnmower situation now resolved.

I had to laugh at Scott's sheep suggestion just imagining my neighbours' reactions as the sheep wanders into their gardens (open plan) and leaves small round presents for them.

Briefly considered the petrol type, as suggested by John K,  but decided on a German Einhell push mower which has proved very efficient and less noisy and more environmentally friendly than the other options. Also cheap, nothing to breakdown, no running costs and some exercise for me.

Thanks for the suggestions men.

P. S. I had originally ordered an electric rotary Webb mower from a major retailer (name begins with W) but they brought the wrong mower so it was rejected and order cancelled.

True story, I worked for a large Northern tyre and exhaust chain and one of the directors told the manager to cut the grass in front of his depot. The manager pointed out they did not have anything to deal with the grass, so was told to just buy something and do it.

A couple of months later, the director was driving past the depot and tethered up on the neatly trimmed grass was a goat. He stopped and went in and with some anger asked what the **** a goat was doing on the front.

"That is flymow, he eats the grass lives in the depot at night and the kids and parent love him to bits" "We called him flymow as the accounts would never have believed we had bought a goat so that's what the invoice said" "Since we have had him sales have gone up as no one can miss him outside and if they need tyres or exhaust curiosity gets the better of them"

Flymow was the only goat the company had but it lived a full life and the grass was always neat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1