Rad/ Intercooler options

Tim Reid

I have started to research rad and intercooler packages for my turbo upgrade (1.6 ecoboost) 200bhp to start but with plans of going to 320bhp in the future.

So far I have found the following but struggling to make a decision.

Coolex package, alloy rad, intercooler (in/out at top) fan £500 ish.

Radtech package, alloy rad, Intercooler (in/out at top), fan £800 ish.

Playskool intercooler (in/out at top and bottom). £380 ish then I need a golf/polo rad and fan.

Pro-alloy will custom build for thousands.

My research on here sees great feedback for the radtech but is it worth the extra £300? 

I like the playskool Intercooler as plumbing should be easier with the inlet/outlet top and bottom. Also I like the approach of a readily available (cheap) golf rad as replacements are easy.

I like the price of the coolex and that it's a package ready to fit.

If it was your money what would you buy?

I went through the options and ended up with the coolex.

The rad tec unit is very pretty and more efficient probably as the intercooler doesn't block off any of the rad. However it's a. Lots more money. B. There are quite a few radtec rad failures reported and c. The guy on the phone didn't seem remotely interested in my business.

The coolex unit is a bit clunky and could be refined a bit more. The intercooler shape could do with changing a bit so the end tanks don't block off a bit of the rad. The plus side with coolex is Alastair is great to deal with and they generally have stock of everything. The other thing with the coolex package the fan is a no brand job and their quoted flow rates aren't great. I bought my own revotec fan and sent it to coolex and they mounted it up for me.

The package copes perfectly well with my 250 bhp however I did have to duct the nose otherwise too much air escapes over the top of the unit.

Doing it again. I would still go Coolex Rad but I would try to sort the intercooler shape out by either seeing if they can alter or by finding a better fitting intercooler elsewhere.

• Like 2

The radtec is proven in two turbo 300bhp+ installs that I know of. Intake temps ridiculously low and coolant temps rock solid. I like coolex but I do think the radtec is worth the extra. It really has been fit and forget for me.

• Like 2

Downside I would think to the playskool one will be a polo rad was never designed to have a thick cored intercooler in front of it,nor was it designed to cool 300bhp of turbo charged engine?

The other two choices have been designed to work together for a charged engine :)

35 minutes ago, CosKev said:

Downside I would think to the playskool one will be a polo rad was never designed to have a thick cored intercooler in front of it,nor was it designed to cool 300bhp of turbo charged engine?

The other two choices have been designed to work together for a charged engine :)

Good point however I would not be using a polo rad but the golf which has a deeper core. This has been proven on over 300bhp supercharged Duratec.

I guess I might see higher temps from a turbo setup.

10 hours ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

Good point however I would not be using a polo rad but the golf which has a deeper core. This has been proven on over 300bhp supercharged Duratec.

I had the golf one on mine and it struggled on track with my feeble 224 BHP.  That was also ducted as per the Westfield race ducting.  Yes that is only a sample size of 2, one that worked and one that did not, I stuck on a radtec with no other changes and no further issues.

• Like 2

im with both dom and steve if your on a budget go coolex if not go radtec. if you go coolex youll need to duct the nose also dont get there fan. get a revotec fan slight bit more money but much mroe efficient. if i was going down the route again i would buy radtec or like steve says get alistair at coolex to alter the intercooler. i also think the coolex intercooler is a little thick for a westfeild. but you cant escape the fact that there cheaper and the quality is very good

22 hours ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

I guess I might see higher temps from a turbo setup.

The supercharged Duratec was running a big intercooler in front of the rad?

1 hour ago, CosKev said:

This has been proven on over 300bhp supercharged Duratec.

That's the thing though, has it? The Plays-Kool Supertec is a fantastic bit of kit and a cracking Sprint Car, but I've come a cropper like this myself in the past, where what works really well on a Sprint car, doesn't translate so well to something completely different.

It's perfectly possible that the Supertec's rad and intercooler have been used for extended running under load like you'd have on a trackday for instance, but I'd check that with Luke or Rich first, so that you know exactly what it's handled. Doing a trackday in hot weather puts quite a different load on things to doing five or so two minute or less power runs over a day on a Sprint Course.

Of course, looking at it, you could probably use the very nicely made Plays Kool intercooler with something like a Coolex 55mm core radiator, for the best of both worlds, again, something to check.

One other item to find out about, how is the PK intercooler for clearance in the nose? On the Supertec, its mounted a long way back, is this for clearance under the nose cone? Does it need new lower rad mounts? (It does use different upper mounts). Like I say though, it looks a nice piece of kit, plenty of surface area on it!

The problem with hot track days is when you get stuck behind a BMW or the like who won't let you past. The bigger modern cars give out an awful lot of heat behind them - you can feel it. My intake temps went from 33 degrees to 35 behind it, but dropped to 33 again afterwards. Coolant was rock solid. I love my radtec.

Considering the improvements that I have experienced of adding ducting (aka Westfield race ducting) I plan to do this to my new package. 

Looking at the pictures of the coolex and radtech I can see how this can be easily done as there is a flat surface on the from of the intercooler that mounts could be added. The radtec I'm now sure how you could add ducting because there are no flat surfaces.

This pushes me towards the coolex and I see they offer a 42mm or 55mm or 70mm core rads so maybe it can handle 300bhp?

Coolex on eBay item: 162006985058

Radtec: http://radtec.co.uk/products/445/-Turbo-Engine-Package.htm

Yep I ducted my Radtec setup

6 hours ago, Gary (KugaWestie) - North Oxfordshire AO said:

Yep I ducted my Radtec setup

Could you post a pic? 

I have been talking to Pro Alloy this week about cooling capacities and where to go should I .................. er................ supercharge ..................mmmmmm......... They have expressed that there are a lot of cheap radiators for sale and most are pretty poor in quality and heat transfer. They also stated that Westfield radiators SHOULD BE rubber mounted top and bottom to prevent the chassis twist and radiator doing different things and failing. This is reverse information given by the factory. Also, all alloy radiators are or if they are of a decent quality OAT compatible. Anyone who states different is hiding a poor quality product. I had a great chat with them about what I can do to aid cooling and if you want decent products  'made in the UK' and with a quality reknown name behind them, then give them a call. They said that cooling is the most important thing toward a quality installation and reliability. I have been advised on an air to air for mine on the intercooler , but will obviously need a deeper rad to combat heat .