MSA or RAC Roll Bar - Wide Body

robwalker1

Hi guys,

I've only just joined the forum and have a wide body SEW. I've done a couple of track days and am keen to upgrade my standard roll hoop to something a little more substantial.

Before I go and spend the best part of £300 for a new one, I was wondering if anyone had an RAC or MSA roll bar / hoop / half-cage (whatever we call them!) kicking around, maybe having been replaced by a full cage or whatever?

Thanks

Rob

Cannot help with purchasing ROP...

But just wondered if you'd considered impact on weather protection, that's IF you have and use a hood currently.

Hood may still fit an RAC rop (mine did) But definitely will not fit MSA rop.

Also consider whether you may like to try competition in future such as sprint in Speed series. If so only an MSA rop will comply.

All't'best 

Thanks Dave, good advice. I've agreed with another member to buy an RAC roll bar off them, as I don't expect I'd ever be competing, just a few track days a year. I was hoping to use my existing full weather gear and have been in touch with Westfield to see if they still sell the brackets which you attach the pram rails to, but apparently they don't do them any more, or have any kicking around. I might start a separate thread to see if anyone has any which they no longer use, although you mention your hood still fits the RAC bar, was this without pram rails at all, or did you manage to get one of the mounting plates and extension brackets (with the sliding nut) so it'd lift over the heightened RAC bar? I've seen a few forums about this topic, with different options of fitting it without the rails etc... just curious what you did.

Thanks, Rob

My hood still fits without the Pram frame on rac bar.  There will be a chance that the fabric will wear quicker where it rubs on the top bar mounting bolts, plastic Iva nut covers reduce the wear.  There is also more flapping of the fabric when driving due to lack of support.   Your first choice would be to find the modified brackets or have some made. 

As Sooty said 

I made a single support bar to stop flapping with RAC rop.

i have 3 rac type rollbars  one lower so it allows hood to be used but welded back stays and a bolt in front petty bar if required . £150

a std westfield rac type  never fitted with removable stays on rose joints  £150

and another rac look one which seems lighter  so might not be made of the correct spec steel £75

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.