Oh god not another intro...

Samuraipxi

Hi everyone, my name is James, I'm 28 from the northwest and extremely privileged to own a SEi wide V8 Westfield. I am an aircraft fitter currently working for Airbus UK and before that I worked, I mean, made the brews at a garage whilst I was in college. My hobbies include traveling, 2-stroke 1/5 scale RC cars and gaming mainly along with volunteering as an RNLI lifeboat crew member.

My Westfield is my proudest possession, my Dad built her in 1996 in the garage in our back garden.

IMG_3764.thumb.JPG.26ee916b4a20ab1b9e6e949dac2ca075.JPG

IMG_3761.thumb.JPG.3d83d4dfe0e78db30cc26aef221a172c.JPG

She has always been his pride and joy and he loved nothing more than taking friends out for a quick scare. :p Unfortunately however, he passed away last year from pancreatic cancer. And about 2 weeks before he died, his last gift to me was the Westfield. So now the once hugely sentimental car my Dad built is even more sentimental to me. My family had gathered to watch him hand over the log book so they could see my reaction. It was as you would expect, I was dumbstruck, I had no words for him that could possibly describe what I was feeling. Even know I can't. 20 years on she still looked amazing.
IMG_3740.jpg

You may be wondering why I would tell you that. It's because I'm about to make a plea.

3 days ago I was driving to work when on exiting a blind bend there was a wagon overtaking a parked wagon. I was extremely lucky as I managed to avoid the collision with the wagon, however I was unable to avoid the brick wall and pillar. My heart broke the second I watched the nearside wheel crumple against the bodywork, I had done the unthinkable. He trusted me enough to look after her and I ruined her. This is my plea for help, I can't let her go, I have a need to get her back in one piece. So much so, the day of the accident I didn't seek medical attention, I spent the day removing the mangled parts I could. I couldn't leave her looking like that. But I need advice, I have mechanical skills but I don't know the first thing about rebuilding a car. Any advice you guys can give me on what the best course to take and parts suppliers would hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this, stay safe.

IMG_3753.jpg

Welcome James :ww: Very sorry to hear of the situation that brings you here - many of us have owned our cars for similar lengths of time, so appreciate the sentimental side of things. 

Firstly, try not to worry - everything can be re-built, even if new chassis and body parts are needed. I have no experience of insurance claims and processes, but others do - I suspect the first advice will be to ask the insurer to recover it to the Westfield factory for assessment.

Edit to add: the MOST important thing is that you are OK - you are less easily re-constructed!

:ww:

What a brilliant story.

Sorry about the last bit but you dad will be happy knowing you are trying to sort her.

Its all part of the story.

What a nice touching story.:ww:

As said best get in touch with Westfield, looking at the photo you will need the front half of the chassis at the very least.

Good luck with the rebuild

Welcome to the club . Sorry about your father and his car . My father died aged 46 from pancreatic cancer , so know about it. You can get it back working . Anything is repairable. Are you going through insurance to repair ? They would only send it to the factory. If not, then I would wait for the the north west guys to appear here and with a bit of camaraderie,get the engine and box out and ancillaries, to save costs and then get it to the factory for a chassis inspection. 

:ww: and sorry to see your motor in bad shape...like the guys has said it will rebuild and the good thing is you wasn't hurt...I'm sure your dad would be proud of you if you get it back on the road...take you time and speak to Westfield and hopefully they will help you with parts and good advise...plenty guys on this forum that will help you if you get stuck...keep us updated with your progress...

Thanks for the warm welcome guy. Your words of support and advice are greatly appreciated. I'm not planning on going through the insurance as I'm pretty sure they would just declare it a write off, and I'm not prepared to risk them not giving it back to me. I will be giving the factory a call tomorrow, so I'll see what they say and keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks again.

Siltech racing will fit a new front end to your chassis.

Can be difficult to get through to them but their work is top notch.

:ww:  Its a sad hello but I'm sure with the help and the amazing knowledge base of the "Family Westfield" you will soon have this great car back on the road.

Firstly welcome James. As has already been said, a call to Westfield and they will be able to discuss with you what your options may be to get the car back onto the road.

looking at the damage to the chassis one option could be to re-chassis the car and swap all the existing parts onto a new frame.  In the past Westfield have sold replacement chassis stamped with the original vin number (you then send them the old chassis to be destroyed) to simplify the process of getting it back onto the road.

Your Dad must be watching over you as you are OK.     Now just fix the Westfield for him and you.    If you go for the new chassis option and rebuild yourself it's quite straightforward and there will be plenty of help on this forum.   If you read a couple of build threads you'll see some folk had no mechanical knowledge at all and are successfully building Kits from scratch, you'll find it easy once you have a careful look around yours.  Good luck.

What progress have you made?

Hey guys, just like to thank you again for the words of support and encouragement, I really do appreciate it.

Time for an update though. I have contacted Mark at Westfield and he has taken a look at the photographs I sent him. His opinion is that due to high impact, I will have more than likely twisted the chassis right the way through. He said a replacement chassis is probably the only way forward but has said he will inspect mine as soon as I can get it to him. He has recommended that my best/maybe cheapest way forward would be to purchase a starter kit as I would get the majority of the parts I need. That's the way I'm thinking of going at the minute as, even though it would cost alot to buy, I figure that I can sell the remaining parts I wouldn't need. I'm am planning on using as much of the original car as I can.

My first job then I think is strip down the old chassis and get it to the factory. I think it'll be worth getting Mark to take a look because even if he does tell me it's finished, meeting him and being able to pick his brain is probably worth the 2 hour drive alone. Plus a look around the factory can't be a bad thing.

As you can probably tell my spirits are little higher now and although I know it'll be awhile and cost alot, I know it's worth it and it could have been alot worse.

Thanks again and stay safe. ;)

Sounds promising !! See if the factory can keep the old chassis and remake the same chassis number on the new chassis, to make life easier and then they can destruct the old chassis.

Pull the engine and the bodywork have a good look at the chassis. Run some straight edges along the remainder then decide. Get the chassis level on some blocks and spirit level each end. It's possible from bulkhead back it's ok. They are very repairable and surprisingly tough. Bodywork can also possibly be saved by cutting level with back of engine bay and putting flared side panels in. I've seen worse repaired.

Photo and get back on here for advice.