Exhaust

snowy892

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a new exhaust (including cat) as mine is struggling to pass the MOT. I have a 2.0 duratec.

Any suggestions where I can buy one?

Thanks.

Hi, can you post the emission test results and a photo of your existing exhaust? Someone will likely recognise it and we might be able to help advise on what the MOT results mean (you might not necessarily need a new cat)...

I certainly will do. car, details are at a garage.

Ive already replaced lambda sensor and plugs.

Have you always struggled to pass the emissions at previous MOTs or is it a recent problem?

I've only had my Westfield for a year. No previous problems. However I contact 'toybox' who I brought the car from who's sending me a loan silencer for the MOT! As we think it may be the CAT. 

Ok, that's worth trying.

I also have a duratec and had problems passing the emissions, but mine was a tuning problem that I was only able to fix with a change to the ECU. Hopefully yours is an easier and cheaper fix.

I've only had my Westfield for a year. No previous problems. However I contact 'toybox' who I brought the car from who's sending me a loan silencer for the MOT!

Ok thanks for the message. Hopefully if the CAT. HOW did you know it was the Ecu

In my case the engine was not stable when trying to hold the fast idle condition and the emissions readings were varying. For short periods of time it would all be in spec so I knew the engine and exhaust were capable of achieving the MOT limits if it could be better controlled.

My ECU was an early Webcon Alpha unit which became difficult to tune as it required the chip to be removed, reflashed and then re-installed, so I upgraded to an MBE 9A4 and all has been very good since with no more problems at MOT time. :)

Hopefully not ECU as engine is fine, ticks over nicely. However I do have a Webcon Alpha!!

8 hours ago, snowy892 said:

Hopefully not ECU as engine is fine, ticks over nicely. However I do have a Webcon Alpha!!

Unfortunately it is often not possible to determine a problem from how the engine sounds or feels as the slightest adjustment to the fuel can make the emissions go 'out of limit' without a perceptible change in operation. That's what Steve is referring to in his post, ie. with a steady throttle at 2500 to 3000 the closed loop adjustment was not accurate enough to keep the emissions within the very tight limit required by the MOT. This can be identified by some diagnosis with gas analyser and by viewing the live data from the ECU if possible.

On 2017-5-22 at 21:40, Kit Car Electronics said:

Hi, can you post the emission test results and a photo of your existing exhaust? Someone will likely recognise it and we might be able to help advise on what the MOT results mean (you might not necessarily need a new cat)...

Do you have this yet?

I may have an exhaust spare that came from a 2007 sport2000 with duratec fitted. I presume it has an integrated cat. I am away this weekend but can post a pic on tuesday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neptune said:

I may have an exhaust spare that came from a 2007 sport2000 with duratec fitted. I presume it has an integrated cat. I am away this weekend but can post a pic on tuesday.

Thank you Neptune. Please keep in touch.

Regards

Richard

Did you drive the car enough to warm it up before the test?