Returning to the Fold

Gazza

Hey y'all,

I have just re-joined the club after not being fully engaged since around 2002 when i did a couple of years of the Speed series and had the best time. It was the days of getting to know: Comp Sec. Tom at Curborough 2000, and also getting to know John Loudon at the Boscombe, Mark Stanton at Llys-y-Fran and so-on: so many welcoming characters. Helpful when you're doing your first Wiscombe, Shelsely and Lydden. Really miss the Boscombe Down sprint. 

I bought my 1988 SE low-line in summer 1994 from a guy in Lewes, Sussex after returning from 4 years building a power plant in Africa. It had pretty common spec in those days: 1630 Chamberlain '155bhp' spec Xflow (244 cam, Hepolites, twin 45-DHLAs) with RS2000 4-speed box and 3.77 diff. A Westie was a fairly rare sight in the early 90s, and caused a lot of conversation. 15" wheels and SO2-Potenza's seemed to make sense at the time, but later 13 Revos made more sense.

Encouraged by the Speed Series I scoured ads for good second-hand parts such as a SC/CR 'Rocket' box (with 2.39 1st gear) mainly to get rid of the useless 1st gear, and a 4.44 LSD. Simon Lepley in Notts came up with 2 superb units for 375 each plus an alloy RS2000 b/housing as a bonus. They are still  in perfect shape after 16yrs use. The Xflow is now 'steel' and on 12.5:1 forged pistons. Great engine!

Anyhow, after building another plant in Singapore (incl. F1 marshalling) and the Middle East I'm back and looking forward to getting back involved.

By-the-way, Im also in the Brighton & Hove MC so if anyone wants info on stuff like the Speed Trials or their Goodwood events etc, don't hesitate.

WSE88_Combe2015.png

gary.jpg

2012_F1_SGP DriversParade.jpg

PrescottCrop2.JPG

• Like 7

Welcome back!

:ww: back.

Thanks, its good to be back and I look forward to getting to know a lot of new folks.

PS. if anyone has info on who or where mine originated from I'd be interested to know.

Narrow, low, x flowed and red.....

perfect, but then I'm biased lol....

love the post and welcome back!

mart.

• Like 1

Funnily enough Gazza, I picked mine up 3 summers ago from just North of Brighton. Cardinal sin...bought the first one I saw but got a Good'un luckily. Fell in love with the cross flow noise and popping and banging on the lift off. Not much room, being a narrow, noisy and stinks of fuel as on twin 45's, but it has the ability to lift your spirits and cleanse the soul that more modern units cannot do IMHO...

old school rules lol...

Mart.

• Like 1

Agree with Mighty Mart, mines crossflow and red can't do the narrow but it has a live axle. Out yesterday in the sun much popping and banging and my rev counter decided to pack in, another little job ,I hate weird electrical stuff.  

• Like 1

Yep - mines on a live axle as well, which seems to compliment my lack of ability lol....

When it stepped out of line, it was very controllable and came back nicely.....now I know that's not just me doing it lol...!

Just put on R888R's - 205 60 x 13's on the back, and struggling to get them to break out of line, so happy with that.

Did have ZE912 's on - still on the front, and very good and predictable road tyres. I'm waiting to see if the grippy back will now encourage understeer - not so far, but if so, will change on the front as well.

As an aside, I realise that there is a lot more modern machinery in westies, with far more power and tuning potential, and that's great. Just that in my own little bubble, for the money I paid for my OLD narrow with OLD technology, with 140 ish bhp, used on the road only so far, you get an awful lot of bang for your bucks with a soundtrack and driving experience that just makes you feel alive again after a crappy day at work sometimes....

Laters,

Mart.

Well - snap again Mart, because I also bought the first one i saw. It was a revelation to drive ... calm and then ... as angry as you like :d

OllieB - I can forgive a few 'wrinkles' when it's on the cam and comes alive ...

I really think the live axle is a better than it sounds 'on paper'. Love the independent set-up but I'm very happy with the way this one works. The key, I think, is to have good dampers in good working order so that they DO ACTUALLY adjust. 

Once you get in-tune with it, you can chuck it around with confidence ... [cue Prescott pic in a gentle drift tip-toeing around the edge of the gravel :d]

142-4263_IMG.JPG

• Like 2

Took all the fuses out and put them back, checked and cleaned the plugs and took the foam filters off my carb trumpets and turned the fuel pressure down to 3 psi.

Went for a blast and the rev counter is working again, how very strange. The engine runs and sounds much better with the foam filters off and it seems ok with 3psi instead of 3.5.  The mighty crossflow is back to its best !!

DSC00560.JPG

• Like 3

...but you've put some form of filter back on?

2 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

...but you've put some form of filter back on?

I was waiting for that, and I wasn't disappointed! :d

(Dave's right of course, one should never run one's engine on the road without air filtration protection.)

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

142-4263_IMG.JPG

Back in my day, that bit at the back is what qualified as a rear diffuser, just remove your spare tyre and away you go, not the fancy things you can get these days, get off my lawn, kids these days don't know they're born, etc. :d

• Like 3