For Sale - Complete MX5 Mk2.5 VVT 280Bhp Powertrain - Wiltshire

Martin#30

Hello all,

I am a new WSCC member, I joined a few weeks ago to learn about Madza SDV cars so I could find a good one to buy. I wanted an SDV car as I have a wonderful MX5 turbo powertrain that I wanted to put into a Westfield.

Unfortunately, whilst searching for cars, I fell for a competitor and I now have a RoadRunner Racing SR2. It already has a strong powertrain in it, and so my MX5 example if no longer required.

I am selling my complete 280 flywheel HP (measured 245hp at the hubs) MX5 turbo powertrain, including the standard 2003 VVT engine, 6 speed gearbox and LSD. Details below about everything that is included, and the specifications of all the parts, but first a little explanation as to why I am selling.

Please grab yourself a cuppa or a beer first, this needs to be a long post as there is a lot of kit included here, and a fair bit of background information to share.

After a number of years fun with my 2003 MX5, I decided like many of us that I would like some more power. After researching the options, I went with Daniel Elias at Ardler Automotive.

£8,851.37 later, I had the powertrain you see below. The work was finished, and I collected the car on 9th September 2014.

3 years and 8,000 extremely happy miles later, my MK2.5 MX5 succumbed to rust and failed it’s MOT. This was not a problem, as I had always wanted to transfer this powertrain into a 7 type car. So, powertrain removed, car scrapped, and I start searching for a Westfield with an MX5 powertrain already fitted.

In my usual way, man-maths came into play and I bought a RoadRunner Racing SR2 with a 6.0 GM LS2 engine and gearbox fitted.

RRR_SR2_1.png

I am very happy with this decision, but of course I now no longer need the turbo powertrain – hence the sale.

So, I am selling the complete powertrain. This is pretty close to Plug & Play if you already have a Mazda SDV car, except:

- You will need to consider the fuel system in your car. This is mapped for the stock MK2.5 MX5 60psi static fuel pressure, so you will need the same in your car, or re-map the ECU to cope with your different fuel pressure.

- The intercooler and pipework is engineered to fit in the MX5, which it does - beautifully. I think the nose of the Westfield will be too narrow for this, so you will certainly need a different intercooler pipework solution.

- The exhaust is engineered for an MX5, so some modification will be needed between the downpipe and the Westfield exhaust.

Everything is in good used condition. There are various marks and scratches on things of course, but everything is here, and everything works perfectly.

Engine/gearbox/diff/prop/driveshafts are all from my 113,000 mile 2003 car. All of the turbo parts were bought brand new in 2014, and have done 8,000 road only miles.

Right, onto the photos and detail. First, a few photos showing what the powertrain looks like installed in my MX5. I don't have enough knowledge of clearances to know how this manifold/turbo location will work in a Westfield, but if anyone wants specific measurements, just ask :

EngineBay1.jpg

EngineBay2.jpg

EngineBay3.jpg

EngineBay4.jpg

Next, these photos show the powertrain removed from the car and in my garage. This is what is actually for sale.

Powertrain1.jpg

Powertrain2.jpg

Powertrain3.jpg

Powertrain4.jpg

The car was mapped by Daniel Elias, and as I was sticking with standard engine internals, Daniel mapped the car to hold the safe peak of 215lb/ft of torque over as wide a range as possible. This gives a wonderfully driveable, lag-free engine, hard acceleration in 6th at just 2,000rpm is perfectly fine, and peaks at 245bhp at the hubs on Abbey Motorsports dyno.

This is equivalent to around 280bhp at the flywheel.

Dyno1.jpg

Dyno2.jpg

Daniel explained to me that the fixed 60psi fuel pressure system in the MK2.5 is a constraint, and that when the turbo is boosting 15psi against that static fuel pressure, he was running out of injector time. So, the injectors and fuel rail are all perfectly capable of much more, and a boost referenced fuel pressure plus map tweak would have likely added another 30bhp or so here, even on a standard engine.

I deliberately bought the best components, to give me expansion headroom in the future. Strengthening the engine internals (conrods, pistons and a recommended oil pump upgrade), and a map to suit, will allow all this kit to make 400bhp. 4th gear in the 6-speed gearbox is the weakest, and torque should be limited slightly in 4th within the mapping, but many people are running 400hp happily on all of this kit.

Pictures of the manifold when it was new, an absolute work of art:

Manifold5.jpg

Manifold6.jpg

Pictures of it now, loosely bolted to the engine:

Manifold1.jpg

Manifold2.jpg

Manifold3.jpg

Manifold4.jpg

In my MX5, I had the downpipe and link pipe join onto the standard MK2.5 centre and rear exhaust sections. I wanted the car to remain quite quiet, hence using the OEM centre/rear.

In a Westfield, I would suggest that a custom exhaust will be required after the downpipe, and the downpipe itself may well need modification to work with the usual side exit Westfield exhaust.

Powertrain3.jpg

Exhaust2.jpg

The Garret water cooled V-band turbo. This was deliberately sized larger than initially needed for future expansion, and I bought the ball-bearing motorsport variant to remove any traces of lag from the installation. 400bhp is entirely possible from this turbo after forged pistons and con-rods on this engine:

Turbo1.jpg

Tial blow off valve and wastegate:

BOV1.jpg

Manifold3.jpg

Megasquirt MS3, plug and play for the MK2.5 VVT engine, and fitted with on-board SD Card datalogging.

MegasquirtMS3_1.jpg

MegasquirtMS3_2.jpg

Vishnu dual feed fuel rail, and Bosch EV14 620cc injectors:

FuelRail1.jpg

FuelRail2.jpg

Cam cover and sump are both modified to allow engine breathing, and oil return from the turbo:

CamCover1.jpg

CamCover2.jpg

Sump1.jpg

Intercooler, oil cooler, sandwich plates and catch can are all included :

Intercooler1.jpg

OilCooler1.jpg

OilCooler2.jpg

OilCooler3.jpg

CatchCan1.jpg

Additional gauges for boost, air-fuel ratio (AEM failsafe), oil temperature and fuel pressure (SPA Designs) are all included. All of the sensors (AEM wideband too) included, plus the entire car’s wiring loom so you can decide how best to wire these into your car.

Gauges1.jpg

Gauges2.jpg

Gauges3.jpg

WiringLoom1.jpg

Other miscellaneous stuff included, engine mounts and a relatively new alternator:

EngineMounts1.jpg

Alternator1.jpg

So, thanks for reading so far. Lots to take in. Bottom line is that this is pretty close to a Plug and Play 280bhp into a Mazda SDV Westfield, with a bit of work on exhaust routing and intercooler piping.

I am looking for £5,500 for everything, including the engine, 6-speed gearbox, Limited Slip diff and the prop/driveshafts.

Please bear in mind that all this cost me £8,857.31, including some decent discount from Ardler as I gave them my car for 6 months to use as a test bed for engineering this E1 turbo kit.

PartsList1.jpg

If you don’t want the 6-speed, discount by £300. If you don’t want the diff/shafts, discount by £200. If you don't want the intercooler/pipework, discount by £250. If you don't want the Flyin' Miata high flow catalytic converter, discount by £50.

Any questions, just ask. There is no way that I could have described all this well enough for it to make perfect sense.

This is all located in Wiltshire, in a village called Crudwell, 10 miles west of Swindon.

Many thanks,

Martin.

Nice advert, but IMHO you would have more chance of selling the kit on MX5Nutz.

That will not fit in a Westfield as it stands. It will need a new manifold and downpipe for sure. 

I think you also need to consider that most second hand turbo kits are priced a lot lower than yours on Nutz

GLWTS though 

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.