The good news and the not so good news!

Yanto

Agree that a decent box will transform the car (as noted on your other thread Ian) - my newly installed BGH E6 is superb! Can't believe the difference it makes to the drivability, every gear feels just perfectly spaced now, rather than frustratingly wrong! I just have to get used to 'not' going for 2nd the instant the car moves any more :d

• Like 1

This is probably more suitable in the Tech Section, but what ratios did you go for and what ratio diff do you have?

Dont put EP oil in it. it makes it baulky in the gears until it warms up. Voice of experience here !! Its not the rear prop seal running down the underside of the box ?

My type 9 box, filled with red ATF, has a slight leak and hard to tell exactly where it's from. Possibly a seal or even the bellhousing to gearbox paper gasket failed.

It's been like this for the last 12,000 miles and just gets a slight top-up every Spring.

A little oil (like blood) can look a lot.

23 minutes ago, dpeffers said:

A little oil (like blood) can look a lot.

Certainly can! Mine sprung a gearbox leak at a recently track day, completely covered most of a garage, but had only lost 200ml (out of 1.5L). Only became apparent because the oil got extra hot, thin, and started sloshing about a lot.

58 minutes ago, Yanto said:

This is probably more suitable in the Tech Section, but what ratios did you go for and what ratio diff do you have?

5th: 0.825

4th: 1.0

3rd: 1.26

2nd: 1.81

1st: 2.83

Diff: 3.92

Wheels 15" (195/50)

• Like 1

Might me worth checking the little hole on the top of the inspection plate is clear and not been painted over etc...  if so it would cause the box to pressure and leak...     I thought mine sprang a leak at silverstone a few weeks back, turned out to be the engine catch tank was full... as some one said a small leak goes a long way.  

18 hours ago, Yanto said:

I fear that might have already happened, there is a slight judder when pulling away if first, although not every time.

Oh dear.  Box out.......

2 hours ago, Bogyoch said:

Oh dear.  Box out.......

Later, later, it's going to last, it had better last :d

6 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Dont put EP oil in it. it makes it baulky in the gears until it warms up. Voice of experience here !! Its not the rear prop seal running down the underside of the box ?

Yep, GL4 only.