Sena intercom systems

chriss1455

Im looking for a new intercom system as there was plenty of issues with my current one (not a very good one to be fair)

Are the sena ones as good as what they are made out to be?

Or can anyone reccomend any other types that are as good?

I have a pair of the SMH5s, use them for instruction on circuit and they are excellent. Really good on the road too, for listening to music and having my phone sat nav shout directions at me :)

5 minutes ago, AdamR said:

I have a pair of the SMH5s, use them for instruction on circuit and they are excellent. Really good on the road too, for listening to music and having my phone sat nav shout directions at me :)

And also a lot cheaper than the 10s ones i was looking at

I have the Sena SMH5 and the SMH10 Chris - you can pop over and test them.

Although the 5 is perfectly good and does the job no problem, the 10 is worth the extra in my opinion, it's just that bit better all round.

EDIT: if I were to buy a pair, I'd get the 5's - if it was just one for music/phone/satnav, then go for the 10

12 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I have the Sena SMH5 and the SMH10 Chris - you can pop over and test them.

Although the 5 is perfectly good and does the job no problem, the 10 is worth the extra in my opinion, it's just that bit better all round.

EDIT: if I were to buy a pair, I'd get the 5's - if it was just one for music/phone/satnav, then go for the 10

I may take you up on that Chris. Will message you later 

I've made my own using eard efenders and Bluetooth bike intercomms for circa £90 a set. Happy to share pics and part numbers etc.

With apologies for the slight hijack, does anyone know if any of these systems can operate more than two-way?

I don't have a 4 seat Westfield(!), but one of my hobbies is target rifle shooting and in the team format we have coaches whose role it is to estimate the effect of wind on the bullets and compensate accordingly. Currently the rules allow wired communication between the coaches, but this is going to be relaxed to allow wireless comms. There are some brutally expensive systems out there (the sorts of things which airport ground crew would use and which are way out of our budget) so I've been thinking about cheaper alternatives (e.g. ear plugs which can be used under normal ear defenders). However, we would need at least 3-way comms (ideally more).

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Nick Mace said:

With apologies for the slight hijack, does anyone know if any of these systems can operate more than two-way?

I don't have a 4 seat Westfield(!), but one of my hobbies is target rifle shooting and in the team format we have coaches whose role it is to estimate the effect of wind on the bullets and compensate accordingly. Currently the rules allow wired communication between the coaches, but this is going to be relaxed to allow wireless comms. There are some brutally expensive systems out there (the sorts of things which airport ground crew would use and which are way out of our budget) so I've been thinking about cheaper alternatives (e.g. ear plugs which can be used under normal ear defenders). However, we would need at least 3-way comms (ideally more).

Thanks

The SMH-10 can do 4-way comms at a range of up to 900m - the SMH-5 only 2-way up to 400m

2 hours ago, IanK said:

I've made my own using eard efenders and Bluetooth bike intercomms for circa £90 a set. Happy to share pics and part numbers etc.

Aha - but how do you get them under a bike helmet :p

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chriss1455 said:

I may take you up on that Chris. Will message you later 

OK mate - I'll be at Church Mouse tonight Ne7ers meet - if that helps?

23 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

The SMH-10 can do 4-way comms at a range of up to 900m - the SMH-5 only 2-way up to 400m

Thanks. 4 would work well though (as ever) even cheaper would be better!

43 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

OK mate - I'll be at Church Mouse tonight Ne7ers meet - if that helps?

Is that tonight? I will have a pop down if you wouldnt mind bringing them along?

3 minutes ago, chriss1455 said:

Is that tonight? I will have a pop down if you wouldnt mind bringing them along?

Yep no problem