Value of my Tyres

Josh Lawson

Hi,

I am looking to change tyres. I have 4x r888 15/50/205 with 4mm on the front and 3mm on the back. If I were to sell these, would any one be interested in buying and if so how much are they worth?

many thanks

Josh

How old are they and where abouts are you? Mobile view doesn't show location unfortunately

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dommo,

im in north London and the tyres are a few years old

IIRC when tyres are beyond 5 years old it's recommended to renew them because of ageing caused by UV.

I renew my kitcar tyres when 3mm limit reached because of risk of aquaplanning when tread minimal.

12 minutes ago, dpeffers said:

IIRC when tyres are beyond 5 years old it's recommended to renew them because of ageing caused by UV.

I renew my kitcar tyres when 3mm limit reached because of risk of aquaplanning when tread minimal.

R888's can easily aquaplane with 7mm of tread :cry:

In answer to the original question. They will probably do someone for a track day. So probably £25 a corner?

7 hours ago, IanK said:

R888's can easily aquaplane with 7mm of tread :cry:

In answer to the original question. They will probably do someone for a track day. So probably £25 a corner?

R888's only come with 5mm of tread new!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sycho said:

R888's only come with 5mm of tread new!

Wow. That's great news for me as it means I should get more miles from my second hand pnes that I first thought :yes:

it also means the seller can charge more for these !

Age is everything with tyres, the only exception to this is where they've been specifically stored to preserve them. 

ie out of any UV light - typically completely wrapped in light tight black bin bags, or similar, and stored at moderate temperatures with NO exposure to frost/sub zero temperatures.

Interesting, if grim reading, to see that "that" fatal Hollywood crash from a few years ago seems to have zero' in on old high performance tyres simply not being up to it and letting go in a fashion that even a pretty experienced fast car driver couldn't catch.

There comes a certain point when even originally superb tyre designs, no matter what tread are only really good for a bit of honing round on a "safe" track, and not the public highway. (There comes a point shortly after that, where they're also great for drifting - on suitable private property of course ;) )