• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Fuel starvation around corners

Josh Lawson

I am currently experiencing fuel starvation going around high speed corners. Can anyone recommend a garage who can look at my car and offer a solution? I am doing a track day in June, so have a few months to get this sorted.

Many thanks,

Josh

North London (Barnet)

Usual solution is to fit a swirl pot and low pressure pump to feed it. 

swirl-pot-diag.jpg

I know it doesn't point you to a garage but might help explain what you need:)

Thank you Chris. Is the swirl pot heavy? I am concerned about adding unnecessary weight

Usually made from aluminium and holds around 1 litre of fuel so not too bad. 

And if weight is an issue just use 2 litres less fuel. The starvation problem will be resolved so you won't need a high "minimum" amount that you do without one. 

• Like 1

Assuming you have a standard fuel injection tank? These are well known to suffer from starvation, not really any quick solutions I'm afraid.

As Chris says, swirl pot is the most effective and "easiest" solution. Alternatives are replace the fuel tank with a proper baffled tank with sump or fill the tank with foam fuel blocks (not recommended - can break down over time).

My fuel tank has a sump which is always full,that feeds the pump and never had a problem 

Do we know this engine is injected? Could be carbs, in which case, might be float levels, although could still benefit from a swirl pot even then.

K series is likely to be injected, I would have thought?

The sump in the factory standard injection fuel tank is fine for road and relatively gentle trackday use, but with high power/fuel consumption and sticky tyres driven hard they will still get fuel starvation when cornering in one direction. If the sump is on the left end of the tank then on left hand bends, because if you empty the small sump in a long bend then you have severe fuel starvation. A proper swirlpot setup is the only solution, and quite easy to design and construct.

Alloy Racing Fabrications do lovely off the shelf swirlpots at very reasonable cost.

• Like 1

Here is my little 1l swirl pot. Solved the starvation issues

D26E7BD1-D4E5-4E3B-803D-0C9357E0495D_zps

• Like 1

Northampton Motorsport did mine recently - did a nice job :t-up:

• Like 1

On my other account but here's some pics 

IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

• Like 1

normally the factory use the redtop suction pumps