At last, a decent petrol container.

CraigHew

After running out of fuel a couple of times in quick succession in 2013 when I first got my car I invested in a couple of "fuel friend" petrol containers which fitted nicely into the WF boot box. They did give me peace of mind, and came in handy a couple of times subsequently when I (knowingly) did a few too many miles looking for a petrol station out over the moors of deepest Wales.

There was one small niggle however in that although the containers only held 2 litres of petrol each, which is good for another 25/30 careful miles in the S2000, they would never completely seal to the point where I couldn't smell fumes each time I ventured into the bootbox.  I had them bagged and wrapped in bubble-wrap but the distinct petrol smell was still there.

After searching far and wide, I stumbled upon Rotopax.  Their containers (petrol/diesel/water/first aid) are used extensively in the long-range touring biking community and by some extreme off-roaders. They're built really well, have a bullet-proof reputation (well, not literally) and come with a lifetime guarantee against leakage of any kind.

The snag is that although a few motorcycle dealers sell them here in the UK, they don't seem to be able to get hold of the entire range of sizes and capacities (I know, as I emailed most of them) and stick to what sells best for the bikers. I was specifically interested in the 2 gallon petrol container as the dimensions (17.75 x 13.25 x 3 inches) would fit well when slipped in behind my passenger seat.  I had already purchased a used 3 gallon variant from ebay which at 16 x 15 x 4.5 inches meant pulling the seat too far forward for my liking.  Anyway, I re-sold the 3 gallon one after a few days.

I went direct to Rotopax and they delivered within about 2 weeks, although with delivery and import duty I didn't get much change from $100 (~£82).

https://rotopax.com/2-gallon-gasoline.html

Yes it's a lot of cash but it meets my needs (and yes I've read countless articles about carrying spare fuel). It slots behind the passenger seat quite easily. Note: 1 US gallon is eqivalent to 0.83 imperial gallons, so my container holds 7.6 litres.

It might be of interest to members planning a long-range trip if, like me, you're constrained by a 22 litre tank and you want to carry spare fuel in a safe container.

IMG_20161220_141106.jpg

• Like 3

As a v8 owner with range anxiety and a 35 litre tank, I love this idea over a seat belt attached 5 litre standard can.

I once ran out in roadworks on the m1 as my junction was closed and then made it 27 miles on 5 litres with a carpet slipper foot and fumes. :o

Will be in touch with them soon, thank you 

• Like 2