Domestic CCTV - Any recommendations ?

Northwarks

So there's been a increase in crime locally, house break-ins, sheds, car thefts, the usual stuff I guess, happening in both day and night with the miscreants even bold enough to do sheds whilst owners watch from windows :down:, there's a reason for it which I won't go into.

Wifey has asked me to get some CCTV cameras, as a security bod and auditor I've been through all the obvious, like it won't actually stop it from happening only records it and if they have hoodies on there's little point and with said CCTV evidence the local plod have more important things to do. :rolleyes:

So can anyone recommend a CCTV system, 4-6 cameras is all I need, want HD, ability to record/review the TV. Swann seem to be in the ball park but have no experience of CCTV outside of the corporate world where costs are obscene.

Let me get this thread to a mate at work who is so into this tech, its scary...

He's traveling today so it will be a few days for feed back, but trust me his views will be worth waiting for.

My Gadget Guru mate has suggested either of these two...

HTH...

ANNKE HD-TVI 8CH 1080P Security DVR Video System

I would say this is a good HD system with a 2TB drive – seems worth the price at £309.00 and has a lot of good reviews...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6YHQWW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_0_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=XKTT7PE2TMF2G092E2QK

[ProHD 1080P] ANNKE 8CH 1080P POE NVR

This one is a bit more expensive at 419.00 but I would say worth the extra £100, slightly easier to set up (smaller connections to put through the wall) and better quality cameras (including increased night vision)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JLKFIYC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_0_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=XKTT7PE2TMF2G092E2QK

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John K said:

My Gadget Guru mate has suggested either of these two...

HTH...

ANNKE HD-TVI 8CH 1080P Security DVR Video System

I would say this is a good HD system with a 2TB drive – seems worth the price at £309.00 and has a lot of good reviews...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H6YHQWW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_0_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=XKTT7PE2TMF2G092E2QK

[ProHD 1080P] ANNKE 8CH 1080P POE NVR

This one is a bit more expensive at 419.00 but I would say worth the extra £100, slightly easier to set up (smaller connections to put through the wall) and better quality cameras (including increased night vision)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JLKFIYC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_0_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=XKTT7PE2TMF2G092E2QK

The first one of those is very similar to mine except that it has eight channels (only four cameras) and an included hard drive whereas I had to add mine.

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

The first one of those is very similar to mine except that it has eight channels (only four cameras) and an included hard drive whereas I had to add mine.

My mate said the same thing, but when I looked at your description I couldn't see an easy comparison, so sorry for the double post, but... if the 'same' system got two recommendations I would say its a good un...

Two shortcomings: spiders' webs as seen in one of my screen shots, and the effect of raindrops and especially fog. I'll put up a fog pic later.

Looks like I'll be going for one of the above. Probably the cheaper of the two to be honest as this is going to be a 'comfort blanket' more than anything else, just have a must have list from wifey - No extra TV, must be able record and review and has to be clear picture ..... I think it fits the bill, fog and spiders - I'll declare force majeure :p

Fog. Note how you can actually still see 50m away across the road.

201612171823451481999025134_zpsydkdny0i.

Rain is similar but coarser droplets of course, and less attenuation. Spiders are a pain in the :arse: unless you either clear them daily in summer, or fit seperate IR illuminators and switch off the integral IR LEDs. I clear them...

1 hour ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Spiders are a pain in the :arse: 

My mate sent me a video where a spider had built a web in front of the camera, was sat in the middle of it and it was blowing a gale.

It was bouncing about like a mad thing and glowing bright white in the IR. 

It looked like the ghost Slimer from the Ghostbusters film was haunting his drive..!

For ease of use Arlo, fully wireless (WiFi and battery) had mine 4 months and lowest camera is at 70 odd % all motion activated.

9 hours ago, CrisisWolf said:

For ease of use Arlo, fully wireless (WiFi and battery) had mine 4 months and lowest camera is at 70 odd % all motion activated.

I've just had a look into these but the YouTube reviewers are saying they're getting 2-3 months max per battery change and even less on rechargeable batteries. I guess it depends on how many times they're activated daily. Shame as every 2-3 months is a little too often for me. 

As i said on non-rechargables as supplied and 4 months in and all over 2/3rds. One goes off 100 odd times a day as its at the frint of the house and catches ppl walking by. Drive and garden less so.

depends on the faff/cost of hard wiring another system as a comparison.

• 2 months later...

Bounce this thread back up to the top as I need to install CCTV over the next couple of months.  Any systems anyone can recommend?