Newbie hello (no car yet)

SXRORY

Hi

Just thought I’d introduce myself, I've been lurking for a bit. No Westy yet, but hoping to get one soon. Not many about this time of year though.

How have I got here?

well I ve always loved cars,  Had a 309 gti as my first car. The 205’s ugly sister, but arguably they go better.

Then I moved onto a 200sx, which I modified and made it into a bit of a sleeper, 360bhp and similar toques, Bit wild this one. 10 years i had it.  

My daughter then came along and I had to go sensible.....so I bought an e46 M3 (cough).

great car, I don't think I ever loved it though.  

Far too heavy for track work (expensive), and always worried it would go wrong (it didn't though) 

It then had to become became a daily for the wife, the mileage was rapidly going up. She was also not impressed by its appetite for v power.

Sold it!  

SOOOO man maths has brought me here! Now going to 2 cars in the house.  

Room in garage....check!  

Just bought a Mondeo last month (it’s actually alright! quite like it).

Insurance and tax for a Westy and a Mondeo add up to the same cost as the m3, a fraction cheaper in fact.  So its all making makes perfect sense to me! (till i spend a fortune on upgrades etc)

once I get something will be keen to get involved in drive outs/trackdays etc 

I’m want one with a bit of poke, not bike engine, its probably a zetec on my budget I think, but open really,  One that can do fun on track and be “alright” on the road.

cheers 

Rory 

Edited by SXRORY
  • Like 2

Hi Rory

Glad you managed to get signed in at last - sorry if the clubs email's went astray!

Anyway - I'm sure you'll find a Zetec powered Westy to be plenty of fun on the road and on track (mine is) - and there will be plenty to choose from if you are patient and wait for the right one to me your way.

If you have never driven one before, then you'll be surprised how quick and agile they feel compared to regular (and not so regular) tin-tops - so get along to a local meet and I'm sure one of the members would be more than happy to show you the ropes.

:ww:

That's a great selection of fun cars, those 309's were real sleepers.

@Adrian (Aidey200) - South Wales AO Is the AO for the South Wales are, might be worth dropping him a PM.

Have fun with your search!

• Like 1

thanks for the warm welcome and thanks to chris for getting me sorted.

I have actually been to see one and I drove it. Its ticking a lot of boxes but I dont know..... they say dont buy the first you see.

Problem is, it drove well , really compliant on the road very clean underneath and has nice parts on it, and in budget. exposed suspension all in good order. SE spec, straight cut four speed,  ap clutch 1.8 zetec on webers 

couple of marks here and there on the body but generally good.  Think i would really enjoy it ? What would you do?. 

Im tempted 

Personally if it's the only one you have looked at & drove, I would try & see at least one more to get the feel for them.

You will then have something to compare it to which would help you make your mind up.

Hi and welcome to the club. It would be sensible to email your local AO. He should be able to drum up some local members with cars and talk to them and even find they may come and help find a car for you. It is a minefield out there and seeing a local owner with issues from a reputable Westfield retailer , you cant beat proper owners to help you buy a decent car. Its a good time to buy being slightly out of season, so VFM is something which is good. 

Good luck with the hunt and if you see any cars you like on line, they stick a link here and we can help you out too :t-up:

Be patient!

I'd go see some local member's cars and thus get a better idea if the car you have seen is actually good or not. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfield-1-8-Zetec-/172412099433?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=CzV5i0afDINopWhWaULEKMwv6qw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc fyi

this is what i looked at fyi...what you see is what you get, no wetweather or anything 

Edited by SXRORY

Welcome

1.8 zetecs imo are a bit underrated and therefore often good value.

Have a good think about windscreen / wet weather gear,  try both (at local meets). Easier to remove than to upgrade to.

1 hour ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Joint Manchester AO said:

1.8 zetecs imo are a bit underrated and therefore often good value.

Agreed - and same thing with live axle. I've recently got a 1.8 Zetec live axle car as my 3rd Westy and 5th kit car, it's a very good bit of kit... The one on eBay looks good value. I bought the first Westy I saw and it turned out to be a very good one, so it can happen.

Welcome, and enjoy your new toy ;)

• Like 1

The ride and handling of a Westfield can usually be sorted for not much money but the engine and the type of Westfield are the areas you need to get right when you buy.  Do you want one with creature comforts (carpets/upholstered seats/heater/hood/etc) or a track day special (none of the above!).  You may not be sure yet so take your time in making up your mind.  Some people buy one car and then turn it into another which is often time consuming and expensive!

• Like 1