Caterham(s)

Yanto

Swear filter appears to have let the title through unscathed so i'll write it again Caterham(s), but even so i kept this in the Stuff and Nonsense folder.

I went along to Donington Park today as there was a track day organised by the Midlands Caterham Centre (Bookatrack) which is on-site, but also it was their open day with grub etc.

Unfortunately i wasn't successful in reserving a passenger seat in the 620r on track driven by a Caterham driver, which was a shame, but I did manage to get a drive in a 320r and a 160s, now I'm sure you all know that the number is BHP/ton, the 320 was good, but to be honest nothing different to driving my previous Duratec Wetsfield.  The 160 however was an absolute hoot, a tiny car even smaller than a non SV Caterham with a 80 bhp, 3 cylinder turbo engine that tried it's best to sound like a flat 6 porsche engine.

Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't fast, the gear ratio's were abysmal but the actual dynamics were brilliant, I haven't had as much fun going slowly since my first "car" which was a mini van. 

I was actually very impressed with it, but would I buy one (even if i could afford nearly £20k for a used one) hell yes!

I also enjoyed having a windscreen and doors, conversation was easy, buffeting minimal, maybe it is time to get another scuttle for mine make them quick change so I can have both options.

Ian

PS sorry for talking about Caterhams.

PPS when discussing Westfields with other people their the reactions were positive, not condescending at all.

• Like 1

I tend to feel the same about the 1.6 Sigma engined Westfield; though nowhere near as light as the Caterham, it is still light and an absolute hoot to drive, with beautiful balance.

I can imagine it feels huge fun on a deserted Highland, or moorland road. (I just couldn't live with the poor overtaking ability on the trip out to the fun roads.)

This is where kitcars excel for me and why I'm building a 1.6 Mazda SDV. The novelty of rapid cars on the road wore off very quickly in my case.

Must admit I have found caterham owners a great bunch and very friendly. Have bumped into one very local to me, along with a tiger owner, and we are all going for a blat next April!

Mart.

I agree with Dave on the Sigma engined car - much more nimble due to a) lighter weight and b) engine further back than my C20XE. I like the Vauxhall's much greater power and torque though!

• Like 1

Yeah, I love the 1.6 Sigma, but own the S2000 :laugh:, which I hasten to add, I love but in a different way.

Much as I enjoy the Sigma, it's just not the right car for me, enough of the time, whereas the S2000 is.