Westfield Designed and Tested Driverless Pods in the News

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Interesting article but what surprised me the most was the Daily Mail didn't say if I would catch or cure cancer by using one of these driverless pods  :d

• Like 1

I really do struggle to see the point in driverless cars. All the money being spent around the world on its research could be put to much better use.

Either at home or at work working on the latest passenger aircraft I don't have a day where some item of technology or IT doesn't have a glitch or a slowdown or needs a reset. Maybe the money should be spent on improving driver standards which in turn would achieve the same goal as the pods, safer roads.

It'd be really annoying breaking down on the way to work because Google is having a meltdown!

Saw something similar in the local paper

Reassuring to know that they're sticking to the footpaths for the testing, at least.

Could driverless cars be about control of the individual? 

Every route, speed and destination logged by a central computer.

Might make roads safer and very likely crime solving easier.

No fun being driven by a computer though.

They remind me of the Johnny Cabs in Total Recall.

I guess the next thing will be hacking into the software to make the vehicle go faster and corner harder. 

• Like 1

what about the insurance. Who's in charge who's fault. Could I have 4 beers and not drive one home. Would I need a car licence. I don't like being a passenger at the best of times let alone with no one driving. Why not take a taxi..

I get the feeling that they'll have a fairly limited range to begin with.

They'll probably just ferry people from the train station up to the main shopping area, which is basically a straight run up the Boulevard.

It'd have been nice to have seen a tram instead, if that turns out to be the limit of their role, but I guess they might be a test-bed for more ambitious uses later on. The novelty will also prove to be a bit of a tourist attraction, no doubt

Its the moral issue that will be the problem.

How does and automated vehicle decide what to do if a lorry is coming straight at you, does it,

A- go straight on and kill you or

B- go on the pavement and kill a pedestrian.

Who's insurance would pay, yours or the manufacturer of the car.

But on a lighter note its good to se that WF are putting all there efforts into the parts department. :o

• Like 1

I can't wait for the day that we have a car that I can flick into auto and then let it drive me. I swear half the time I'm speeding it's because I'm bored and just want out if the car