My efforts at making a Westfield Hardtop

Tempest_5

Thought you might be interested in my efforts at making a hardtop. Some over on Pistonheads have questioned making a hardtop. Why did I do it ? Well I fitted an RAC MSA rollover bar to my Westfield after seeing the state of a Sylva Pheonix fitted with an RAC rollover bar that ended up sliding down the road upside down. The blokes in it got out ok, but only just so I didn't fancy my chances with the old hoop/seatbelt mount. After fitting the bigger bar, the soft top no longer fitted. A couple of years ago I built an open canoe and had some ply & fibre glass left over so I thought I'd "quickly" knock up a hardtop. It was originally meant to be fully enclosed but I'm leaving it like this for now as it has taken me nearly a year to get this far, I like it like this and it's easier to store.

If I get the time I might use this one as a pattern for a GRP mould and make a roof with lift out Targa top like panels. Mind you, as it's taken me a year to get this done, don't hold your breath.

Still testing it. Only got to drive the car with the roof fitted for the first time last night. I'll let you know how it goes. One thing though, I've definitely "filled out" in the last thirteen years since I last squeezed into it with the roof up.

Unashamed plug for the Youtube vid about how I built it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8-yzX4G8Q

Chris

DSC_0690_zpsws4r4bxy.jpg

DSC_0692_zpscaxgosxa.jpg

DSC_0693_zpsgkks6zn6.jpg

DSC_0687_zpslkrghm2e.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, I've still got lots of small bits to do on it. The interior needs the GRP tidying and I'm not sure how the top of the sidescreens will cope with the rain where they meet the roof. With the old soft top I stuck velcro along the top join. I might try the same with this.

Driving  it without the screens gave a lot more protection from the wind than I thought. Next project could be some wind deflectors to go with it.

Chris,

Well done - that's brilliant. I've been thinking about making one over winter but I was going to use aluminium but ply/grp looks a lot easier to create the panels and formers.

As I have a bad back I need to find a way in and out as I've also got solid half doors - I was thinking of some way to pivot the hardtop at the front edge and clip at the roll-bar (or alternatively some form of "gull wing" openings ??? ).

I'm sure there will be many that ask "why?" but with the unpredictable weather we have throughout the year, sometimes it's nice not to get wet (especially when other half in the car :)). Also I like the ingenuity and practical skills in doing something like this (as I can see you do)

I may still go for a SoftBits half hood as well though simply because you can roll it up and have the best of both ...... 

Colin

Yeah, as someone else who's deliberately tried to make the Westfield as usable all year round as possible, I permanently have a few improvements to doors and soft top knocking round in my head, along with a hard top of some description.

Will I ever get round to it is a different matter entirely.

Fantastic to see someone who has though!

Chris, I like it a lot, very good video and lots of ideas to pinch

If I can get round to it I also would like to build one. More like this for access but expect a FW will be more challenging

When finished might sell them for a million pounds each? any takers?

546b0b2555e2f_-_1-93580910-lg.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks folks, glad you like it.

Now I've been using it a bit, I think it's going to have to be used as a pattern for a fibre glass one to get the required everyday resilience. That will be next years project though.

I have been asked if it's worth producing them but with the variations in build dimensions from car to car I'm not sure that would be possible.