North Coast 500 Route…..Bring it on

Murraymint

I've lived in Scotland all my life and never been on the North Coast 500 route and over the next few days we will take it on…. :)

Photos and any stories to follow…. :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 8

Did it a couple of months back, brilliant trip and amazing scenery 20160716_152725_zpst2jvmsfx.jpg

I did wonder why I bought a westfield and now I know the reason why, that was an amazing run.  I think we did around 600/700 miles in total, not saying it was easy with the weather and we had and a couple of problems with the motors, but overall it was something else. 

If your planning this trip, just a few things you should take into consideration…..

Book your accommodation well in advance….and evening meals...

Sat Nav helped us out a few times as the signage is not the greatest.

Make sure you pack your clothes in waterproof bags…as the water gets in everywhere as we found out….

Weather proof your halfhood - we had 3 days of really heavy rain and high winds...

Don't let your better half pack the bags, as we had too much stuff...

Day 1 we set off from Alford and went via Inverness and stayed the 1st night just outside a small village called Plockton at a B/B which was a welcome sight. The family made us very welcome and we had our evening meal in the village (we booked in advance). In the morning we faced a heavy shower of rain whilst packing the motors, but the family came out to see us off and their son who plays the bagpipes piped us off to the next leg of our journey.

Day 2 we headed to Achiltibuie (Summer Isles) via Applecross for the Scottish lads your right the Applecross road is something else. That night we stayed at the Summer Isles Hotel, they cater for evening meals but you have to book, the beer was chilled.  In the morning my brother in law had his first problem, he was tightening his half hood and the dome at the windscreen came away and broke, so we had a problem….I had a bungee cord with carabineer clips, so we put it over the front of the roof and secured it to the mirrors and we were on the road…the rain stopped and the half hoods came off.

Day 3 we left Achiltibuie and decided to take some side roads to lochinver, they we amazing and the views were to die for…heading for Tongue to stay at the Ben Loyal Hotel. By the time we got there the weather was not great, high winds and heavy rain. That night we had covers over the motors and the winds were so bad, the covers would not stay on….so I got black bin liners and tied them round the mirrors to secured the covers on. My brother in laws cover landed half way across the car park….great fun trying to catch it…

Day 4 and it’s still raining….never mind packed and ready to go to Tain via John o Groats for the next overnight stop…We stopped in passed the Castle of Mey for a look round and yes it was still raining…we had a great run down the A9 and landed at the Mansfield Castle Hotel and yes it’s haunted by Mrs Fowler - the presence of her ghost is often noticed but we never see her thank god…great place to stay, good food and more beer…

Day 5 (last day you will be glad to hear) heading home…up in the morning, after a great breakfast and went outside and it’s still raining…by this time everything is soaking wet, but it never bothered us…I did have a few problems with fuses blowing, I’m thinking the water got into the fuse box, which caused problems with side lights and wipers which was really the only things I needed…anyway had spare fuses with me and just kept replacing them…

Overall the weather wasn’t good to us, but the roads were great, hotels etc first class. Plenty of beer and the westfields arrived home safely…ok I had a swimming pool inside my one by the time I got home…

I will post up a few photos, once I get them downloaded for those that’s never been up this way…

So for all you guys south of the border, take a trip round the 500 and you wont regret it…

• Like 2

How fabulous.

The bit about the bagpipes is brilliant.

You need the mishaps to make an adventure and it sounds like you had a great one.

So looking forward to the pictures.