Planning a tour of Wales

Ali and Gail

Hi all

We are planning to start at Chepstow, then the Brecon Beacons, Pembrokeshire, up the coast then head in land to the Elan Valley and Snowdonia and Anglesey etc

Any advice on "you must drive this road", "must stop and go see this" would be very welcome.

Thanks

Ali and Gail

well must do the black mountain pass in the Brecons and dont forget to stop at the hairpin for photos of m8s going sideways - I would never do that sort of thing ;)

and up north most of the "B" roads are fantastic :t-up:

• Like 1

apart from going over the Menai bridge I didn't find Anglesey that inspiring although there are no doubt some great roads - we went on the coast route to the race track so there is a lot more to see than we experienced I assume

• Like 1

Ditto what Cleggy said about Anglesey Snowdonia roads are better. Try and stick to the B roads.

• Like 2

Few of the ones I can remember off hand are:

B4518 Llanidloes past clywedog reservoir, then turn left onto Forge Road for Machynlleth.

A487 which goes through the heart of the Mach loop low fly zone,Machynlleth to the Cross Foxes.

B4391 Llangynog to Bala,open moorland and a really good seven type road.

A4212 out of Bala,right onto B4391 to Ffestiniog, again awesome road.

B5105 Ruthin to Cerrigydugion,turn right onto B4501 this is part of the EVO triangle past Llyn Brenig reservoir,left onto A453.

These are not in any sort of order for a run!but IMO are really good roads and not to be missed :)

• Like 1

The Llanberis Pass is up there as one of my favourite roads, mountains on both sides makes you feel really small, just watch out for sheep on the road because you will be gawping upwards.

After this turn left to Capel Curig and left again onto the A5 along the Nant Ffrancon Pass past the Ogwen Valley towards Bethesda.

• Like 1

When you leave Chepstow, take the B4235 to Usk. You'll love it!

• Like 1

When you leave Chepstow, take the B4235 to Usk. You'll love it!

Thank you, that's going in the route as we are going to Raglan Castle from Chepstow and fits perfect :d

The Llanberis Pass is up there as one of my favourite roads, mountains on both sides makes you feel really small, just watch out for sheep on the road because you will be gawping upwards.

After this turn left to Capel Curig and left again onto the A5 along the Nant Ffrancon Pass past the Ogwen Valley towards Bethesda.

Hi Julie, we going to do that one both directions and is already on the route after you told us about it at Silverstone :yes:

• Like 1

Few of the ones I can remember off hand are:

B4518 Llanidloes past clywedog reservoir, then turn left onto Forge Road for Machynlleth.

A487 which goes through the heart of the Mach loop low fly zone,Machynlleth to the Cross Foxes.

B4391 Llangynog to Bala,open moorland and a really good seven type road.

A4212 out of Bala,right onto B4391 to Ffestiniog, again awesome road.

B5105 Ruthin to Cerrigydugion,turn right onto B4501 this is part of the EVO triangle past Llyn Brenig reservoir,left onto A453.

These are not in any sort of order for a run!but IMO are really good roads and not to be missed :)

B4518 now added, its not far off where we where planning to go. Bala is on there to with the Evo triangle. :yes:

• Like 1

well must do the black mountain pass in the Brecons and dont forget to stop at the hairpin for photos of m8s going sideways - I would never do that sort of thing ;)

and up north most of the "B" roads are fantastic :t-up:

Black mountain pass is on the route, might do it twice :p

When are you planning this for?

Might see if I can arrange trip down to my Dads then join in for part of tour if OK with yourselves.

• Like 1

When are you planning this for?

Might see if I can arrange trip down to my Dads then join in for part of tour if OK with yourselves.

Hi Dave, not until the good weather returns next year but if your around you are more than welcome. :yes:

Hi Dave, not until the good weather returns next year but if your around you are more than welcome. :yes:

Muchly Ta