If you could only do 1 upgrade to your standard kit what would it be and why?

Snappy

My 2013 zetec single upgrade would be my gearbox.

Swopped mine for a fm266 all heavy duty long first box from firstmotion transmissions, which only has one ratio the same as the standard type 9 what a difference to the car. Drives perfect now so many less changes you just seem to be in the right gear.

My use 80% road and 20% track days.

What's your car?

What would be your single most effective modification/upgrade if you could only do one??

Its then interesting to see if similar cars rate the same upgrade and also interesting to see if some upgrades are model specific!

Depends on the model of standard car we're talking about, but if you mean a standard sigma or Duratec model, gearbox every time.

A standard Mega S2000, throttle bodies, every time. Not really spent enough time with one of the bike engined models to tell.

• Like 2

Bike engine. Anti-roll bars everytime, plus decent Geo setup

• Like 1

Gearbox with better ratios. Definitely the best upgrade on Mr Toad thus far.

• Like 1

plus decent Geo setup

I've never considered a geo set up an upgrade or an extra; just another vital bit of the build, if you have the facilities and knowledge to do it yourself, fine, otherwise use one of the various companies dotted around the UK that have.

It's one of my hobby horses! It amazes me how often, in the past, particularly, utterly rubbishy and occasionally downright dangerous handling would be laughed off as OK because "it's a kit car, they're all a bit like that"! No, no they're bl**** well not, it's just you and a few other fools who put up with it and try and drive around it. (At the risk to the rest of us and to the way our cars are perceived by the public and ultimately the governments). Either do it properly, or have it done and you will be amazed at the difference, both to safety and drivability, but even more importantly, to driving pleasure!!

Thankfully, those sorts of beliefs do seem to be on the steady decline now.

It's funny, we've had a few new cars to the Cheshire Area meet recently, one of them in particular looked a real handful, the first time it appeared. (A quick change to the rather high tyre pressures gave an instant improvement to some extent), but the new owner remarked straight away that it had, ahem, handling issues. And yet the previous owner must have just lived with it....

[/rant mode]

:laugh: where's that "get your coat" emoji?

• Like 3

Full Suspension setup AND professional driver instruction.

(shameless plug for AdamR and Clear Motorsport)

By far the best value improvement in 'spritely' progress on road & track.

Then start on the Westfield - next being good gear ratios to optimise engine characteristics as others have said.

• Like 3

Changing the ratio on your diff and fitting an LSD if it hasn't already got one can 'wake a car up'

• Like 1

2L blacktop zetec best single upgrade was defently new BGH gearbox with 2.66 long first gear. Soooooooo much better to drive on road and track,love it :)

• Like 1

I've never considered a geo set up an upgrade or an extra; just another vital bit of the build, if you have the facilities and knowledge to do it yourself, fine, otherwise use one of the various companies dotted around the UK that have.

It's one of my hobby horses! It amazes me how often, in the past, particularly, utterly rubbishy and occasionally downright dangerous handling would be laughed off as OK because "it's a kit car, they're all a bit like that"! No, no they're bl**** well not, it's just you and a few other fools who put up with it and try and drive around it. (At the risk to the rest of us and to the way our cars are perceived by the public and ultimately the governments). Either do it properly, or have it done and you will be amazed at the difference, both to safety and drivability, but even more importantly, to driving pleasure!!

Thankfully, those sorts of beliefs do seem to be on the steady decline now.

It's funny, we've had a few new cars to the Cheshire Area meet recently, one of them in particular looked a real handful, the first time it appeared. (A quick change to the rather high tyre pressures gave an instant improvement to some extent), but the new owner remarked straight away that it had, ahem, handling issues. And yet the previous owner must have just lived with it....

[/rant mode]

:laugh: where's that "get your coat" emoji?

I agree totally Dave, but as you say it's an unfortunate fact that so many owners spend fortunes on engines etc, when a relatively inexpensive geo set-up transforms the car and the way it drives.  :oops:  :oops:

• Like 2

Full Suspension setup AND professional driver instruction.

(shameless plug for AdamR and Clear Motorsport)

By far the best value improvement in 'spritely' progress on road & track.

Then start on the Westfield - next being good gear ratios to optimise engine characteristics as others have said.

100% agree!!

First the driver... A standard westy... Even with a s***ty gearbox is a great fast machine if the set up is correct and is driven properly... Generally the car is well above the driver skills and this is one of the many things I've learnt after one year having advices from the correct person.

Same recommendation than Dave. First improvement in your kit... Call to Adam to set the car and learn to drive it!

• Like 1

Can't wait to fit my BGH E6 now!

After that I'll vote on it with the rest of my upgrades (new engine, widetrack, tyres, better induction, geo, proper mapping, carbon bits, qr wheel, trackday instruction) that I've done since last year.

• Like 1

A standard Mega S2000, throttle bodies, every time. .

Oh yes.

This one.

• Like 1