Rolling Road Test and Parts Supply recommendation

AndrewBClarke

I do not want to diss certain mechanics but need to tell everyone when I find a good one.

I have had a fuel issue with my V8 since last April. 1st mechanic diagnosed (correctly) a fuel starvation issue and changed a fuel pipe stating that it was corroded. This did not resolve the issue so back we went. This time new fuel pump and regulator. Issue still not fixed. Went to A P Racing Engines (more details below) who logically researched the problem and diagnosed that I had a blockage in the front to rear fuel line. As I needed to buy the bits, came home with plans to re-arrange a further visit. Desperate to get back on the road and be able to go over 60mph, and not being able to get a prompt appointment, went to another garage. New mechanics obviously thought they new better and changed a bit of pipe I had changed before and handed the car back with the same outstanding problem and had the nerve to try charging me.

Been to A P Racing Engines again today where we changed the front to rear fuel line which magically fixed the problem. Then a rolling road test which could not be done before due to the engine running out of fuel. Torque of 220, Bhp 195. Fantastic drive home. Shame summer has almost gone.

Andrew from A P Racing Engines, is a really knowledgeable chap and easy to chat with and not shy in passing on his knowledge. Logical and thorough investigations which I could understand. He let me be as hands on as I wanted (within the realms of H&S). He is at 2 Burma Road, Blidworth NG21 0RT 01623 490777. He is busy so keep trying.

The rolling road test part today cost me £100 plus Vat which was a special deal as he knew how long I had been waiting and £50 to lift the car and fit the new fuel line. We were the only car in today as he promised to do all that was necessary to resolve the issue.

As a secondary comment, I ordered 4m of fuel line from Demon Tweeks which was 'in stock and be with you 1st class post'. It didn't turn up so I chased to be told that when I placed my order they had it in stock, but it was in shorter lengths! 2 weeks later still not arrived so chased again. Why can't they call you when they have an issue rather than ignoring it? Competition Supplies Ltd  at Silverstone on 01327 857991 - discussed spec with a very knowledgeable person, ordered it one day and it arrived the next. Much better service!

Recommend A P Racing Engines and Competition Supplies Ltd!

• Like 1

Andrew will be doing my rewire over the winter - he needs a P.A!

• Like 1

It's great when you can find somewhere that's knowledgeable and reliable  :). These guys tend to be busy and often just a one man band so how they juggle the phone, emails, the cars, the accounts and just general business issues I've no idea - but let's keep using them :d  

• Like 1

Russ - my tactic was to ring several times in a row so his phone records the number of calls. Then text him, again several times. Then FB message him several times. He then phones you back - magic! Ignore the automated FB response about 'they will contact you' and pester. It will be worth it!

Whilst he is working, he does not take calls - he simply would not get anything done. As a customer when I am there, this is appreciated as I want my car to have his whole attention.

Good luck with your re-wire!

ABC

Good of you to post recommended Engineers on here and your experience, helps other members.    Could you have done the fuel line yourself and be up and running sooner?     It's going to be a lovely Autumn so plenty of driving for you this year.

Russ - my tactic was to ring several times in a row so his phone records the number of calls. Then text him, again several times. Then FB message him several times. He then phones you back - magic! Ignore the automated FB response about 'they will contact you' and pester. It will be worth it!

Whilst he is working, he does not take calls - he simply would not get anything done. As a customer when I am there, this is appreciated as I want my car to have his whole attention.

Good luck with your re-wire!

ABC

I've used him a couple of times before Andrew....I think I was the first from the forum :-D

• Like 1

SootySport - the fuel line is up in the tunnel and I have underslung exhausts. Tried putting it up on my axle stands but the space is too small to manoeuvre and get around the exhaust and prop. Needed to put it up on a proper car lift to get the space to work and I haven't got one. Tried another garage with the lift and gave clear instructions (and the parts) to change the fuel line but they could not believe it could be that and changed a line that I had already replaced and didn't need a hoist to do it. Need putting in so that there was no risk of it fouling the prop or getting close to the exhaust for obvious reasons. The fuel restriction starved the engine at over 2500 revs so limited to 60mph. Could do short bursts until fuel in the carb and regulator was used up but then had to slow down to allow the pump to refill.

Yeah I know it's difficult to work inside the tunnel.  If you have an engine crane you can lift the front or rear of the car nice and high. A bit more work to remove the exhausts and prop for access and you would have had on the road yonks ago.   

Not squished (technical term) but presume junk stuck in it despite two filters. The original pipe was 8mm external so about 6mm internal. New pipe 10mm internal so much more fuel. Back upto full power now - wheel spin in 3rd when you jab your foot down! Rolling road interesting -  standing 'talking' to someone doing 120mph in your car whilst explaining the graphs on the TV screen!

Yeah I know it's difficult to work inside the tunnel. If you have an engine crane you can lift the front or rear of the car nice and high. A bit more work to remove the exhausts and prop for access and you would have had on the road yonks ago.

that's a good idea where abouts do you connect the crane?

that's a good idea where abouts do you connect the crane?

With the nose cone off,  just loop a stout rope around the front of the chassis.    For the rear I use a rope around the RAC rollbar or you could remove the bootbox and use the chassis.