Kids in the car

TAFKARM

My nephew is keen to go out in my silly yellow car but i've told him he's not old enough yet (he's 4) 

How old will he need to be before I can take him for a spin? I don;'t have my own kids so Im not too hot on the law / HSE. 

1.35m tall or 12 before they can go in a vehicle without a child car seat of any description

I dont think you will get a child car seat or booster in the Westy!

Plenty do get child seats etc of some description in there, just depends on the seats you're fitting them to, of course.

I think you'll find there already is a child in the car. :p

• Like 1

I suspect the law will be vague where 4 (or 5) point harnesses are concerned but I suspect if you look to see if you can safely fit his seat in the Westfield you will make your own mind up if you feel that he can be safely secured. 

this may be helpful

I went for the Sport Turbo seats to ensure the harnesses didn't go around the seat. This meant I simply had chuck one of the simple booster seats in (the ones without any back) and it was easily child friendly. If you've got the normal seats, I think getting the harnesses to go over the shoulders could be tricky. I'm sure others can suggest if that is actually the case or not.

As said it depends on the seats in the car, I have jk's & there's no chance of fitting a car seat without making one.

I took me kids (6&8) round the block on some cusion but that's as far as I would take them, the harnesses just don't go small enough.

I think you have the wrong type of seat, Russ, but here is a picture of Freya when she was 3 in Rickyboy100's car, in a child seat.

AshoverFestivalofLight14020_zps703302ed.

I took mine arround the car park at work with instruction is not to tell mum! which quenched their need for speed. A few 0-15 Mphs and some tyre smoke I'd class as exciting but not dangerous. Unfortunately their secret holding abilities are still crap.

• Like 1

I've got sports turbo seats and a standard booster seat in reverse works well with my 8 and 10 year olds.

I thought it was different if you have 4 seats or not, law wise. That a 2 seater, you can fit a child in , as long as the correct seat etc is used. My son, when he was 3 went in the Westfield and to be honest was too loud , which is another potential issue, so bought an Elise soon after, which he also traveled in.

As much as we all love to make our kids happy for sure, I'd personally be wary about taking them out in our types of cars. It's not for the lack of ability to be safe and sensible but for all the idiots out there! Maybe, as someone suggested, a wee slow jaunt on private ground or large open empty space is enough to quench the thirst of a 4yo

My two have been out for short blats since they were 4 or 5. A cheap polystyrene seat, trimmed to fit my JKs works fine with a foam pad behind them. This got them high enough/ far enough out to fit the harnesses on minimum adjustment. :t-up: