What is Quick, Fast and %$*?@!

John K

IMHO, 0-60 times become a bit meaningless in the case of serious power to weight ratios. 0-100 mph is more the measure of serious acceleration. I estimated that my old sprint car would do the 0-100 in less than 8 seconds, if it was on dry and grippy tarmac. At 60 the wheels had barely stopped spinning. That was in class D, so no traction control.

Agree Stephen

A good while ago one of the Auto/Motoring magazines published a TETD for cars it tested.

Time exposed to Danger, when overtaking from a couple of speeds a vehicle doing that speed.

A proper real world comparison imo.

... published a TETD for cars it tested.

Time exposed to Danger, when overtaking from a couple of speeds a vehicle doing that speed.

A proper real world comparison imo.

Flipping heck... I can remember that exact terminology..!

Please don't tell me how long ago it was.

And the TEtD is where torquey DERVs win out (don't let Mr Chairman read that) just mash your foot and you're gone

• Like 1

Please don't tell me how long ago it was.

Around 30 ish ! :d:p

The top sprint Westfield's are doing 0 to 44 mph in 2ish seconds and as Stephen rightly says it's not particularly useful to talk about 0-60, approx 2.5 secs for decent sprint car.

0-100 is more useful, but sorry don't have that for my Gould GR55 which would do 0-120 in 5.2 secs. But it was the braking which was really good 160 to 40 in 80 metres pulling 5G to start with, less later, not sure how long it took but will look at data.

I remember the TETD measure it was either Performance Car or Car magazine wasn't it?

My sprint Westfield will do 0-60 in 2.6 secs and 100 in under 6

I'd say that fairly typical of the top Speed Series cars.

• Like 2

My sprint Westfield will do 0-60 in 2.6 secs and 100 in under 6

I'd say that fairly typical of the top Speed Series cars.

That's the "entire top row of a keyboard" fast...

Much respect is due...

Thing is I've always known the sprint cars are quick, but when we start talking about Westies at work and I explain mine is quickish (and feels shed loads quicker than he is), but he's more character than speed and they should look at the really fast ones.

They then ask whats fast.

I reply "the ton in less than 8 seconds or so", they honestly think you are BSing them.

Nope.

Had a go in my old XE powered car - long first type gearbox too, which really helped such things, but the data logger made it easy to test. Without trying insanely/clutch shreddingly hard, it would do the ton in about 8 seconds. (I forget the exact figure now), if you gave it more abuse, it would have made low to mid sevens I suspect.

Agree with what Rich says. With lightweight slick shod sprint car those figures are easy to achieve even in my blade sprint car