Ford Fiesta ST update

John K

It is properly brilliant...

Ford knocked it out the park when they signed this thing off.

Now I'm used to it and can fully exploit the handling its just so chuckable.

Bad points are still grabby brakes at low speed, not enough feel through the steering wheel of front tire grip and the interior is as cheap as chips.

But if you accept its a grotty little hot hatch, then its a real treat.

So, so adjustable on the throttle and reacts so quickly to all the inputs. If you are slightly hot on a roundabout and the front does wash out, lift off and it comes back o line so well. And if you want, you can provoke loads of lift off oversteer.

For a giggle, take one for a spin, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

Oh, one more bad thing, apparently it's known among the yoofs as the Ford FiSTer...

Which I always though was something rude...

Agree. Had one for 18 months now and love the thing. Gutted it goes back to the lessor in 6 months I've toyed with trying to keep it another year. Yes brakes are keen but I'm used to them now and miss the keen-Ness when in other cars. The standard Bridgestones are rubbish. Wet grip terrible and tramlines a lot. New good years made it feel even better.

The most important thing is, it puts a smile on your face when you drive it enthusiastically. Top car.

• Like 1

The standard Bridgestones are rubbish. Wet grip terrible and tramlines a lot. New good years made it feel even better.

+1 to the Bridgestones being 'interesting' in the wet. The term I used to describe them to guys at work was when I crossed some standing water under power was "it wriggled like a bag full of squirrels". And because I never have the ESC on, it woke me up LOL...

I've not really noticed the tramlining too much. And if it did happen I put it down to the very low profile.

I'm not sure what to do tire wise when they need a change because all the thrill for me is getting it sideways and putting super stickies on it make all the speeds higher > more dangerous.

I love it moving about and not absolute G, so I don't want to go too extreme with the rubber.

But really, I've never driven anything like it for a cheap front puller..!

I bought the Mrs one in Spirit Blue back in March this year, I honestly think it's one of the best front wheel drive cars ever made. Hot hatch classic in the making, no doubt whatsoever. The only thing that annoys me is the very jiggly and fairly stiff ride, but my god it makes up for it in the twisties!

• Like 1

Are the tyres run flats?

Nope normal Bridgestone Potenza 205/40 R17

What's the interior like? I've got a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost sat outside and the interior is a bit low rent

What's the interior like? I've got a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost sat outside and the interior is a bit low rent

Very cheap plastics and touchable surfaces, but no squeaks or rattles. Which considering how firm the ride is, is flipping impressive. 

I would suspect the only changes between the ST and the Ecoboost are:

Steering wheel (nice small, fat leather trimmed job)

Gear box mechanical leverage actuator (because the swear filter won't let me say knob)

Smashingly lovely Recaro part leather seats

Sony DAB / mp3 radio/player, but if your Ecoboost is higher spec, you might already have this (works well but is amazingly complicated)

Basically is you need it to go round bends quickly, it got fettled. Everything else is bog std...

Edit: Flipping Heck, the Net Nanny allowed Knob... Next time our Inglorious Leader mentions Sporty DERVs I know what I can call him...

My wife has a black ST3, the door cards are a little cheap looking but the rest is fine. The Recaro seats are great compared to the horrible cheap seats in every other Fiesta(same as any other small car though) - ST3 adds loads of nice stuff like two stage heated seats, SAT NAV, keyless entry, climate control, power fold mirrors etc etc, her previous car was a Z4 2.5SI M sport and the fiesta is as good if not better on the corners