Sunburn

DonPeffers

My Tilley hat is OK up to 70 (with screen and side screens) with a wide brim it keeps the sun off and it has a chin strap just to be sure it doesn't take off if there is an errant gust of wind. Beany or leather flying hat when its cold.

I wear Westfield beany and flying hat on top with chin strap. Lovely and warm.also cuts down on wind noise. Love it :)

Wind noise a whole other thread! I have always said that there is no substitute for decent earplugs. I have a set of custom molded jobs that I have use in the Westfield and every day on the bike for my daily commute. I would not be without them.

• Like 1

Too many years of wide open tb's sticking through the bonnet, 3" bore exhaust, straight cut box and an aero screen, with only a crash helmet for protection has f***** my hearing I'm afraid, even the latter years of aero screening with ear plugs under the helmet were too little to late. Having had particularly good hearing, high frequencies in particular, I now have an almost identical hearing profile to an (equally careless) biker, som my optician (- he also does the hearing tests locally for various nhs departments), tells me.

The annoying/embarrassing thing is, I remember Blatters giving me, and others, exactly the same advice above, back when it could have made the difference.

Ah well, live and learn.

• Like 1

I'm 53, and had to wear hearing aids for over 10 years, damage caused by rock concerts, Sony Walkman, Naval gun ranges, home made bombs (don't ask) etc etc with no ear protection.

Despite being very very deaf I still wear ear plugs in the Westfield, when cycling, mowing/ strimming etc, it's all too late but I want to preserve what little is left.

Like most things, you don't appreciate them until their gone.

Ian

As with many things in life, if only we had taken the advice back then. We used to take sunburn as a given if you wanted a tan, slowly rotating in the sun and going down in factor strength until that golden hue was yours. Looking back I must have looked like a spit roasting pig but as they say youth is wasted on the young.

Now it is high factor every day especially on my head wear the thinning hair makes that part vulnerable.

As for hearing, mine seems okay, but I always wear moulded ear plugs now, from a diy kit. They work fine but I am sure as I age the years of standing at Santa Pod without them will raise its ugly head as I will be that wizened old man in the corner shouting speak up.

We use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunsense-Ultra-SPF50-Sunscreen-125/dp/B0016MOEF8/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471262140&sr=8-3&keywords=sunsense

We bought it for the kids originally but I use it now. Unlike some, it's not very greasy so easy and quick to apply, and it doesn't mark your clothing. I've no idea what terrible, harmful side effects it might have, but I'm a baldy ginger and it is very effective at stopping me getting sunburn which I am far more bothered about.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm just back from a lovely 4 hour run round the Scottish Borders on a gloriously sunny day and factor 50 had been applied.

So far the only hat I have is for cold weather use so will consider the options for Summer.

Picked a bottle of P20 up while collecting a prescription from the chemist, ten hours sounds promising, if it lasts a good part of that, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

I can confirm that it will last all day, having tried it at length in all the aforementioned climates. Just make sure whatever you wear to/from the beach isn't beloved 'cos it WILL get rotten yellow stains on the neck/collar etc and they WON'T come out :(

I can confirm that it will last all day, having tried it at length in all the aforementioned climates. Just make sure whatever you wear to/from the beach isn't beloved 'cos it WILL get rotten yellow stains on the neck/collar etc and they WON'T come out :(

Must remember that.

But tbh, where I normally get hit, is doing things like the marshaling where if the Suns bad, you just don't get much chance to top up. And that's old clothes territory anyway!

This was one of those threads that actually taught me some thing (something my wife, boss, friends and dad all say is an impossibility)

I thought UV couldn't get through glass, so was a bit confused about the initial post, so did a bit of googling and found this on the Cancer Research website

"UVB causes redness and sunburn and is a major risk factor for all types of skin cancer. Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass might reduce the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA

Live and learn..! (but I'm not going to change my life over it  :d )

And whilst we're on a health and safety tip, wear sunglasses. UV will screw up yer eyes too. On top of that sunglasses will keep insects/stones/etc away from anything delicate. I use safety specs at night these days too to keep the wildlife/road grit at bay.

As a despatch rider (two decades spanning the 80's/90/s/00's) wearing sunglasses was difficult and even with a visor stuff gets in your eyes. I have been very lucky in that I have never even had so much as a sty despite rubbing the baby browns with gloved hands thousands of times often whilst negotiating Hyde Park Corner or Marble Arch... I'm trying to help the luck stay good by wearing eye protection as often as I can and refraining from putting my fingers in there, especially when I have gloves on... :oops: