Sunburn

DonPeffers

I saw BBC news  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37057569

The article mentions Melanoma UK  warning of skin cancer risk even through glass windscreens and it made me wonder how often I should apply the suncream on long sunny runs in the westie.

Many years ago while cycling in the French Alps I had applied suncream on a very sunny day but forgot the back of my ears, which got burnt, so now that's the first place that gets the suncream.

Does anyone know of a hat that will stay on in a westie at speed?

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a hat that will stay on in a westie at speed?

It depends what you mean by "speed", a well fitting beaney hat would stay on my head (with an aeroscreen) up to about 70/75 mph. And you can get a leash which has a safety pin at one end, attached to the hat, and at the other end attach it onto the roll bar. It wont stop the hat blowing off at speed, but you don't lose your hat when it does!

Not sure about hats and full screens as I've never driven a Westfield with a full screen except when I drove the factory Duratec demonstrator at the time I was ordering my first car (Westie that is). However seeing how others cope I think a beaney hat is again the way to go.

Nice beaney hats can be had with the WSCC logo on the front. ;)  ;)  :d  :d

On a windscreened car, with sidescreens, at least, a well adjusted baseball cap will stay on at well up to motorway overtaking speeds.

Apart from adjusting them to fit reasonably tightly, (doesn't have to be so tight they leave red marks though!) The other main thing with any brimmed/peaked cap is to adjust the front so that it's pointing down slightly, then aerodynamics does the rest, keeping it down on your head, rather than lifting it up at the front.

Otherwise, as said, beanies work really well - keep your ears warm too, if you get the Thinsulate versions.

There's also the tube type things that can be worn in a couple of dozen different ways, I forget the name right now, half a mo...

...Buff's that was the brand I was trying to think of, though others are available. Can be worn round the neck, pulled up to keep the lower face warm, worn as a balaclava, or as various forms of head covering, including the pirate look!

Tis all BS... Lorry drivers don't all get more skin cancer on one arm. People who work in bus depots statistically get less lung cancer than the rest of the population!! There are many things which cause cancers but generally the it's our own disposition to get them. It was found only a few years ago that a lot of sun lotions where carsonegenic, coupled with allowing you to spend more time in the sun without burning prolonging sun exposure. Much like anything it's common Sense. Some years ago a mate and I went to the kit car show.. The weather was glorious and both topless in his cobra rep on the way home... Lovely white belt lines.. :)

I only use organic mineral based sunscreen as said above some sunscreens are more harmful that the sun, and I have a severe allergic reaction to any that contain uv curing acyrilates some of the ingredients are classified as harmful iratant or toxic in there consecrated form

Cancer issues aside, I'm still recovering from really nasty sun burn to the backs of my legs over the Silverstone weekend!

They're still a little tender to the touch, but the first week and a half was agony.

So don't skimp on the protection.

FWIW, depending on the conditions I normally need to top up the cream once or twice during the day, more frequently if in water or working in the car or something where it gets wiped off.

I burn really easily so I got a sun screen that you only need to apply once a day and its waterproof

What are you using if you don't mind me asking? (I can tan, but struggle and tend to burn first!)

What are you using if you don't mind me asking? (I can tan, but struggle and tend to burn first!)

P20 is the one I have used.

http://www.p20.co.uk/

I have used it in Spain/Canaries/southern USA and it's really good if a little tedious to apply because you MUST let it dry. And even when dry it'll ruin the colour of the necks of t-shirts etc, where contact with treated skin is continuous, and maybe towels when drying after swimming.

Beanie hats cover the ears fine. Baseballs caps obviously don't so slather on the Factor 30 or whatever, and don't forget your nose in particular and you face in general. I use doors and a windscreen and still have been burnt even when the weather hasn't been an obviously high risk day. I am fair skinned so I pay attention to this stuff and yet I still get caught out on occasion.

Tis all BS... Lorry drivers don't all get more skin cancer on one arm. People who work in bus depots statistically get less lung cancer than the rest of the population!! There are many things which cause cancers but generally the it's our own disposition to get them. It was found only a few years ago that a lot of sun lotions where carsonegenic, coupled with allowing you to spend more time in the sun without burning prolonging sun exposure. Much like anything it's common Sense. Some years ago a mate and I went to the kit car show.. The weather was glorious and both topless in his cobra rep on the way home... Lovely white belt lines.. :)

Have you got any data to back up this complete garbage?

Just the BBC program I watched I think it was last year.. Then again since you know it's garbage it doesn't really matter.

I use P20 same one as blatman

What you need is a "proper" beanie hat.  Guy Martin sells 'em

Wouldn't be without mine in the Westfield on cooler days.

wall%20of%20death%20hat_zpswdwyewp2.jpg