• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Rising damp (not the sitcom)

Deanspoors

So I have an old terrace house, (old miners home built around the 1900's) safe to say I don't think it was built using damp proof methods and now I have rising damp on a solid brick, plastered, interior wall along it's entire length up to 600mm high, the house is going up for sale shortly and while I don't want the damp being a deterrent I also don't want to spend any more money than I absolutely have to having already spent a fortune on a new kitchen and flooring. The house has been empty for 4 years and I think the lack of heating has contributed to the dampness. I remember last time I put it up for sale I turned the heating on for several days solid and this made most of the damp visibly disappear. Are there any quick and cheap solutions for rising damp, i.e; damp seal

Cheers,

Dean

Not really any cheap solutions I'm afraid, damp seal is just covering up the proplem & doesn't really work & the surveyor would still pick it up.

It really needs injecting then waterproof rendering to a meter high.

• Like 1

Not really any cheap solutions I'm afraid, damp seal is just covering up the problem & doesn't really work & the surveyor would still pick it up.

It really needs injecting then waterproof rendering to a meter high.

Yep, this. ^^^  Sorry. 

Just to add if it's got old solid floors without any DPM, they should also be done. Sorry.

Eurgh, I was hoping someone would lie to me. Well a builder is coming to give me a quote tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't have to sell a kidney.

Just to add if it's got old solid floors without any DPM, they should also be done. Sorry.

We used some stuff from wickes that was like a liquid rubber stuff.... worked great on the floor

You can save some money if you knock the plaster off to a metre high yourself. I had to do that about 26 years ago, messy old job but saved a few bob. Because I took care to do it in a straight and level line, I disguised the join between the old and new plaster with chair rails, which worked a treat, just need to make sure they're at the right height.

• Like 1