Trailers, trailers, trailers

Deanspoors

Thanks everyone.

Iowlee, I will be looking at downrating the trailer plate so I will be well within the 3.5tonne maximum. Unfortunately the rentals company only have a LWB transit with a tow bar, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet and move on from the M5 it looks. 

why sell the M5 ??? On paper it looks to be more than capable of towing a westfield on a lightweight trailer so why not just get a tow bar fitted to that?

I used to tow behind a Mk4 golf and now use the Impreza.

Not sure m cars are rated for towing, I know the m3 isn't ;). Would be a fanastic tow far, lots of torque and weight which is what you need.

"How far",..........TOW CAR

"How far",..........TOW CAR

Yep, damn you autotext!

why sell the M5 ??? On paper it looks to be more than capable of towing a westfield on a lightweight trailer so why not just get a tow bar fitted to that?

I used to tow behind a Mk4 golf and now use the Impreza.

That was the original plan, it can be retrofitted to the M5 but i'd be looking at well over £2k for the retrofit kit fitted! Plus I would be worried that having a tow bar fitted might put potential buyer off due to the additional stresses and strains put onto the car. 

Sorry but I don't get all the 'must have twin axle' b*****k. You wouldn't worry about a blow out on a motorbike which is more likely to kill you so why a trailer?

Last year I bought a Brian James A4 trailer,they do it in a 2 wheel as well. It tows really well

Blowouts are normally caused by perished or underinflated tyres rather than punctures. So if you have a little used trailer it's worth storing your wheels inside or covering the tyres to protect from the elements and checking the pressures

• Like 1

Early M cars can't tow legally, I asked the Towbar company about that myself.      4 wheelers are better end of.   Not much difference between PRG, BJ, Woodford versions, they all tow well.   Ideal size for a Westfield is a width of 67" +or - a couple of inches,  of which the 3 above mentioned companies make.    Some Sierra rear axles are a bit wider than normal so measure the rear wheeltrack.   I have an inch each side spare which I find easy to  drive the car up ramps and position the car on the trailer bed.

Used trailers can be bought for £1100 - £2000 depending on how old they are. Pay attention to the tyre age, older trailers are usually still on their original tyres and can cause failure.

I don't know which gen M5 you have, but my (old) E39 M5 was perfect for towing :yes:

Photo+02-08-2012+15+00+33.jpg

It was the later one to that, the one Chris Bangle designed.    You can physically put a tow bar on it but the car is not type approved for towing, same goes for the MB AMG models and quite a few other sports saloons,    Fabia VRS is another no no as you may well know Q.

Saw a Brian James trailer on the road today with inboard wheels. Looked quite good

Saw a Brian James trailer on the road today with inboard wheels. Looked quite good

Must make the bed high or very small wheels.