Driver coaching

harrypotter

I drive a single seater in sprints and hillclimbs and my question is, how can I get some coaching to improve my driving technique? In a road car I've done the schools at Shelsley, Loton and Curborough, which were very helpful for correct lines, but I feel my driving style could be improved upon in the single seater.

Any ideas anyone?

I would say that a lot of what you learn in any car can be taken over to the single seater. Of course there are downforce-specific techniques and seat time in that car is still king, but the general principles are the same in any car.

My feeling is that the merits of 'training in other cars' vs 'seat time in your own' would depend on where you are in terms of driving level at the moment - don't suppose you have any videos?

My problem is that I've only ever competed in this single seater and don't have a lot of experience to transfer from other cars. Also, getting seat time when you are sprinting or hillclimbing is a matter of seconds per run or a few minutes over a weekend.

I wondered if there was training to be had at a circuit with an instructor and car (ideally in a lightweight rear wheel drive car), and if that would be useful?

Maybe there is no way of training for sprinting other than doing it.

getting seat time when you are sprinting or hillclimbing is a matter of seconds per run or a few minutes over a weekend.

IMO that is one of the 'problems' with sprinting / hillclimbing and the cars which are specifically developed for this purpose - you just can't get enough seat time...

Sprinting does offer different challenges to circuit racing, for example, but getting familiar with the general techniques required will really help. However, if you are already a pretty decent driver then I'm not sure how much driving other cars will help, hence the question about video.

Slight self-trumpet-blowing here, but I am able to offer something pretty close to what you've been thinking about:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115961-new-services-track-driving-instruction-car-setup/

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115961-new-services-track-driving-instruction-car-setup/?p=1231271

Have you been on test days for race cars?  They are usually at MSV tracks and at the  earlier part of the year.  Not sure if coaching is available on these days as they would be on Joe public trackdays.     Worth having a look at the MSV website and phoning/emailing them.

Don't forget you need a race license for test days...

I have tested before at Llandow, Cardiff (may not be convenient to you) - test days there are split between closed and open wheeled cars.  It is normally run on an open pit lane basis for each group.  The group sizes are never big there (when I was there it was 3 single seaters); you may even get the track to yourself.  

I treated it like a sprint and picked my moments to run 2 laps and come back in.  Let things cool down, adjust the car, think about what lines I took etc.

Llandow allows you to run on their Test days with a Speed (non-race) licence.

It was about £90 per half day and you get plenty of track time.

I see you have got a Megapin 1100 which as long as you are not running out of fuel should be able to do a few laps of a circuit, ie 2 or 3. But you will probably be best to go to Landow (as Paul suggested) Blyton Park or Liverpool mtorclub test day and use an old set of tyres to get more used to it.

If you don;t have much experience in rear wheel drive cars, then Adam is right, a Westfield or MX5 or similar is great to build good car control. The single seater should actually be easier to drive, but more difficult to drive really quickly due to learning the downforce which of course varies with speed.

Thanks for all your replies.

Extra track time would be good but I may be repeating bad habits and yes, the Megapin is designed to do very few minutes at a time. I've had the brakes smoking after doing a few too many laps at Curborough.

I would ideally like someone alongside me to identify improvements that could be made, and that would obviously have to be at least a two seater.

The 'premier circuit schools' would wipe out my meagre budget for the year so I may be best investing in the compromise arrangement of extra seat time as suggested by some.

I agree that driving a single seater is not difficult; driving it fast is another matter!

I will also contact AdamR for some further advice.

• Like 2

Big challenge for Adam... OP came from Howards, they are magic.

But if any muggle can do it... will be Adam.

Big challenge for Adam... OP came from Howards, they are magic.

But if any muggle can do it... will be Adam.

I understand the words magic and muggle but...

"challenge, OP, Howard, they are magic"...

What does that all mean? (I hope I don't regret asking?!?!)

In some point, I'll learn to not try to make jokes with my really limited English...

Nobody understand me...

Never mind.