25/06 - (Photos) Castle Combe Classic, Retro and Kit Car Action Day

Tom Frankland (T3OMF)

Ha,ha that's random I always used to complain to my dad it made me felt weird when spending many a day watching noisy cars before they were banned

Probably a bit closer to the lines due to the viewing bank?

They do almost seem in touching distance and on hot days they will expand and sag further. There is a big electro-magnetic field around HT lines though. I once had to go to a very large transformer station in Scotland and you could get tiny sparks from your fingers to earthed metal!

They do almost seem in touching distance and on hot days they will expand and sag further. There is a big electro-magnetic field around HT lines though.

The best time to watch track action at Quarry corner is when it is raining.  Firstly, because of the mayhem on circuit, and secondly, all the sparks jumping across your metal framed umbrella caused by the electro-magnetic field above you!  :laugh:

• Like 1

Ah, I haven't experienced that but I did get a spark from my umbrella during a thunderstorm once. Brown trousers...

Is it just me but does anyone else gets an electrical tingle from any metal items under those powerlines at Quarry? 400kV so it's not surprising.

I used to with an old telephoto lens - the metal ring connecting to the camera body would give me little zaps! New lens is okay tho.

Will a video do?  :)

A couple of spins but no bumps thankfully.  The red car you refer to is at 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_0mW1LTxKY

Looking again at that clip it reminded me of the ear grating tyre screeches that so many cars make on Quarry. Not having driven Castle Combe I don't know that corner except for its reputation as a wrecker of cars of the unwary. Some drivers seem to be able to take the corner without the tyre screeching and don't seem to be slower than the others. I did a tuition session at Hullavington (or Abingdon, can't recall) with Irling Jensen of Motorsport Events and he told me I was entering corners too fast and 'clinging on in the hope I wouldn't spin off' but if I braked harder and went in slower so I could power around and out then not only would it be quicker, but much less likely to end in a spin because the balance of the car was better. This was in MSE's Elise. Is it, then, that the screechers are doing what Irling criticised me for doing and the silent ones are doing what he recommended?

Looking again at that clip it reminded me of the ear grating tyre screeches that so many cars make on Quarry. Not having driven Castle Combe I don't know that corner except for its reputation as a wrecker of cars of the unwary. Some drivers seem to be able to take the corner without the tyre screeching and don't seem to be slower than the others. I did a tuition session at Hullavington (or Abingdon, can't recall) with Irling Jensen of Motorsport Events and he told me I was entering corners too fast and 'clinging on in the hope I wouldn't spin off' but if I braked harder and went in slower so I could power around and out then not only would it be quicker, but much less likely to end in a spin because the balance of the car was better. This was in MSE's Elise. Is it, then, that the screechers are doing what Irling criticised me for doing and the silent ones are doing what he recommended?

I think it's different tyres,road tyres are the noisy ones,semi slicks quieter then slicks silent? :)

That had not occurred to me CK, perhaps you're right. Next time I get the opportunity I shall try to take note of what sort of car and, if possible, what sort of rubber.

• Like 1