Tesla P90D Ludicrous- thoughts?

Labrat

Evening all,

I am wondering what to think. I have just taken a Tesla for a test drive and it is both disturbingly weird and astoundingly addictive.

The Weird- the silent running at low speed, the huge amount of built in tech, self drive- (it can even change lane on its own!), the gear selector being where the wiper control should be.

The Addictive- the acceleration, the grip, the dynamic stability.

Build quality is very good and there is the attraction of not having to watch the fuel needle dropping each time you hoof it if you don't need to drive too far.

I am rather taken with the car but can't shake the feeling that when you go from 0-60 in 2.8 seconds it should be accompanied by more than a whine of motors and a whoosh of wind noise increasing around the windscreen. The petrol head in me wants the roar of a big V engine and the smells and vibrations. I am sure this might be the future but I'm not sure i really like the idea. It all felt a bit i-Robot.

Luke.

I was talking to a bloke at the weekend who has one.  Told me he gets 260 miles out of a charge and has done some sort of deal that the charging is free.  He obviously loved it.  Been meaning to check how much they are

Not cheap at between £53K and £101K but the price you pay is the price. They don't do deals on the cars but apparently you get 4G built in as part of the cost and they have some sort of charging deal as well. 8 years unlimited warranty too. I was surprised how far it went without any apparent change in range.

260 miles from one charge?    Must be going down hill all the time, I would say half that in the real world.  Never the less it's clever technology and will be the future of motoring.

£50k. will buy you all manner off petrol powered exotica, I know what I would do if I had the spare dosh.

Charging is usually free for all EV cars in the UK at city charge points and motorway service stations, you just have to register with the DOT or something like that.   I know Nissan showrooms have free charging for Nissan EV's.

Yes it's a quirky car isn't it. The bit that surprised me was the performance / handling from 2.5 tons. Feels like a sports car more than a 4 door family car.

If you've got the money it's worth exploring the niche before it gets popular and a tax is slapped on it by the government. After all they can kill stuff like this overnight if they choose to. Just look what became of LPG. The same could go for electric.

• Like 1

What's a Tesla worth after 7 years then? Warranty for 8.

To me it's how long the battery lasts. Replacement is not going to be cheap

The main Services on the motorways have Tesla only charging points - M40

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSvX56cWoAAkJcB.jpg

Upto 100k for a car that wont even make it to Scotland, not very good yet - spend 100k to save a few quid per journey with major drawbacks - typical rich persons thinking :-)

Yes it's a quirky car isn't it. The bit that surprised me was the performance / handling from 2.5 tons. Feels like a sports car more than a 4 door family car.

If you've got the money it's worth exploring the niche before it gets popular and a tax is slapped on it by the government. After all they can kill stuff like this overnight if they choose to. Just look what became of LPG. The same could go for electric.

It's already happening with changes in BIK and from next year VED being based on car value above £40k  independent of emissions

IMHO range extender like the i3 makes much more sense rather than cost and weight of massive batteries for occasional long journeys

The i8 looks interesting for that reason, but not sure when you have to change the battery and how much it costs?

The i8 looks interesting for that reason, but not sure when you have to change the battery and how much it costs?

I'm sure you'll be able to get cheep Chinese ones off the the bay when the time comes.  :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll be able to get cheep Chinese ones off the the bay when the time comes.  :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

food-drink-fat_lot_of_good-vends-vending

:d

I'd have one too. If money were no object. Along with a few other frivolous vehicles in the extensive collection.