• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Auto electrician wanted in Yorkshire.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

Can anyone recommend me a good auto electrician within 70 miles of Scarborough.

The wiring behind Buttercups dash does not look the best and I seem to keep having various minor electrical glitches.

I am looking for someone who can rip it all out and do it properly.

There are auto electricians in the local area but would prefer to go on recommendations.

• Like 1

Yeah, keep meaning to mention it, but given the use your car gets and the weather conditions you battle on through, plus one or two odd looking ways things have been done, it really would be a good winter upgrade to get it thoroughly "gone through" and sorted.

Sorry, can't help with the recommendations though.

Hi Dave.

Agree with your comments.

I am not looking at it been done in winter though.

I was thinking pretty soon so I can keep on driving through the winter.

could you not do it yourself geoffrey. im not electrical savvy by any means and i figured out mine just by taking my time and asking any questions i didnit understand on here

The only problem is that I am only at home one full day every two weeks.

I would much rather pay to have it done so I can keep on the road.

Its not that easy. An auto electrician would charge a fortune to start afresh. Theres a LOT of hours. You could order a westfield harness if your cars standard fittings n guages etc, youd have to remove dash which isnt too bad a job if you want i will help you one day if i can. If its just a westy harness, owt else like a total custom wiring would take months

Hi Geoff,

Give me a call, I know an excellent auto electrician based near Leeds who did some fine work on my 27 yr old SE.

I had lots of blue smoke coming from underneath my dashboard due to delamination of old wiring insulation,  in the middle of an MOT !!,  which caused all sort of electrical problems

Cheers................JW

Yeah, keep meaning to mention it, but given the use your car gets and the weather conditions you battle on through, plus one or two odd looking ways things have been done, it really would be a good winter upgrade to get it thoroughly "gone through" and sorted.

Sorry, can't help with the recommendations though.

A good upgrade for electrics is to go through all the connections and squirt some contralube in. http://contralube.com/contralube-770/ It is a contact grease that protects them from moisture and corrosion. Recommended by former member Ceriolli, who used to cover huge distances in all weathers in his car. Can be hard to find, but eBay is a good source, just watch the cost. I've now done all the electrics on my car. The last major electrical problem I had was on the one plug I'd not treated!

Agree with TeX. If the dash is reasonably standard in layout, then probably the cheapest approach is a new loom from Westfield, even if you pay someone else to fit it. More likely to find an electrician willing to take it on that way too.

Jen

Having seen under his dash, it's a way from being standard, I'm afraid, but that's part of the problem: random in line fuse holders, cut/redundant wires left hanging etc.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

It has certainly given me a lot to think about.

My ideal scenario would be an electron to view the car, give me a price.

I decide if I can afford it and then

I pick the car up all complete.

My garage has been in touch with an electrician but he is on holiday.

I just don't want to do bits here and there.

• 5 weeks later...

Whos doing it for you Geoffrey? I'm getting mine done in a few months - PM me what you paid :-D

Hi Russ.

I was recommended a local chap a few villages away who came very highly recommended.

I took Buttercup to him for a looksee for a couple of hours and he was able to give me a price.

I am having all the wiring checked and removed / replaced where necessary.

Fuses all tidied up.

New warning lights on the dash.

Additional power point installed behind my seat to power my go pro camera without the need for batteries.

Sockets put behind the dashboard to allow the full dash to be just unplugged to allow easy removal.

All new wiring for the rear lights.

I will PM you.