MSA Proposed Changes - Methanol

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Contact  :                        SpeedConsultation@msauk.org
Web link to proposal:      https://www.msauk.org/assets/2016april20-speedeventsaction-methanolforcedinduction-forconsultation.pdf

Close date:                     30th June 2016

Current:

10.5.2. Sports Libre and Racing Cars. Only pump fuel or methanol may be used. When using methanol, the addition of 10% by volume of Propanone is allowable (Note J.5.13.6).
(a) Any vehicle using methanol must include an additive which provides a distinguishable colour and smell when burning.

Reason: Safety
Implementation: 1st January 2017

10.5.2. Sports Libre and Racing Cars. Only pump fuel or methanol may be used. When using methanol, the addition of 10% by volume of Propanone is allowable (Note J.5.13.6).
……
(b) With the exception of Period Defined Vehicles A-E, vehicles using Forced Induction are prohibited from using methanol.

Reason:
Due to the increased power achieved through methanol use it is considered, on safety grounds, that its use in Forced Induction vehicles should be prohibited. The delayed introduction allows current vehicles to be altered to suit the change of fuel.

Implementation: 1st January 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

With reference to the proposed regulation change “Speed Event Committee April 2016 -2” 

I am a hillclimb competitor competing in both club and national events in a normally aspirated pump-fuel powered single seater racing car. This proposed regulation change therefore has no impact on my vehicle but I feel strongly that the proposal should be withdrawn.

Quote;

10.5.2 (b) With the exception of Period Defined Vehicles A-E, vehicles using Forced Induction are prohibited from using methanol.

Reason; Due to the increased power achieved through methanol use it is considered, on safety grounds, that its use in Forced Induction vehicles should be prohibited.

Unquote.

I believe the argument is flawed and I strongly disagree with this proposal and wish it to be withdrawn;
• The power that can be produced from any engine, forced-induction or otherwise, is directly related (and proportional) to the budget available to the builder/owner/driver of the vehicle and engine combination in question and is NOT dependent on the type of fuel being used.
o There are many very powerful forced induction engines in our sport that run on pump fuel including a current “Top ten” contender
o Of the current top ten cars in the British Hillclimb Championship, only two are forced induction, and only one of those runs on methanol
o Of the current top ten cars in the British Leaders Championship, only two are forced induction, and only one of those runs on methanol
o Of the current top ten cars in the Midlands Hillclimb Championship, three are forced induction, none of which are running methanol
• The key reasons that competitors are using methanol are as follows;
o The cooling effect of the fuel chemistry on the inlet charge allows for a simplified installation, often avoiding the need for inlet charge coolers to be fitted. It may also be possible to have a much-simplified/reduced-complexity engine cooling system 
o The engine performance can be maintained with a larger safety factor (compared to “Pump fuel”) allowing for a more cost-effective and reliable installation
o Methanol attracts a lower fuel duty and is therefore cheaper than “Pump fuel”
o Methanol is safer than “Pump fuel” (from a health perspective as well as fire hazard)
• There are a myriad of non-forced induction engines being used in our sport that produce significantly higher power outputs (both on methanol and pump fuel) than forced induction cars competing in the same class – how can the “on safety grounds” argument hold water?
• The power level produced by a car/engine combination is only one of many factors that may have a contributing effect on that vehicles perceived safety levels. Much more important is the level of maintenance and preparation carried out on that vehicle as well as the quality of the build and assembly

I sincerely hope that my views, which I know are supported by many other competitors, are taken into account when this proposal is discussed at committee.

I look forward to receiving your response,
Regards

Obj to Methanol ver2.rtf

• Like 1

Objection to changes to 10.5.2.

I object to this being changed, particularly under the reason of Safety. Either Methanol is safe to use (which it must be as you are still allowing it) or it’s not. You state it is to reduce power, but currently it is only the medium powered cars using Methonal, which makes it ridiculous to still allow the big Formula engine V8 cars to still compete.

• Like 1