• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Front mounted mowers - Stiga or Husqvarna?

Kit Car Electronics

I'm thinking of replacing my lawn tractor with a front mounted articulated mower with a mulching deck. My garden has quite a few trees, obstacles and bumps but is mostly flat. The two common ones I've found are the Stiga Park and the Husqvarna Rider. Does anyone have any experience of either one, good or bad, or any others I should look at?

I don't have any any direct comparisons apart from my neighbour had a Husqvarna and had continuous problems with it, eventually forcing the dealer to take it back and now has a Stiga, which he spends hours and hours and hours on riding around on (escaping his wife perhaps?)

By the way he still leaves long grass around the trunk as i do with mine (centre deck mulch), although he can leave it with one circular pass whereas it takes me a couple of forward/rearward shuffles to leave it, we both need to strim around the trunks to get that neat look.

Had a Stiga Park Compact for the past 8 years or so. One acre garden with trees shrubs etc so strimming still needed every few weeks for neatness. Transmission failed a couple of years ago possibly because I opted for the more powerful ofthe two engines available (16 hp B and S)? Repair by local dealer (west Wales) was good value. Beware of running over obstacles (e.g. hidden hard rubber dog toys) as these will make a mess of the blades and possibly damage the nylon drive belt pulleys on the cutting deck (as with any other mower in the same price range I expect.) Overall I'm happy with my Stiga.

Thanks Chaps, I just looked at the Husqvarnas at the local dealer- the cheapest one looked very fragile but the mid range one (R216) was quite solid - apparently they have sold over 200 of these already! I'll search out a Stiga and go look at that too

Just to add I had 21hp Husqvarna with the Kawasaki engine no problems...but over priced

Well I liked the Stiga and have put a deposit on one. Higher spec than the Huskie for less dosh. Suspect my wife will ride around on it to escape me :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thread revival...!

For those of you that have front mounted mulching mowers, are you happy with the results you get?  In particular, do you find that you're left with lots of grass cuttings on the lawn and, to avoid that, do you have to cut it very regularly?

I'm moving house in the near future and will need some kind of ride on mower.  The thought of continuously having to unload a grass collector and having a mountain of rotting grass is not very appealing so I'm trying to convince my wife that a front deck mulcher is the way to go. She is worried it will leave the lawn looking a mess.

Another question is whether it's practical to take the mowing deck off and use it as a tractor (e.g. for towing a trailer round the garden)?

Thanks

Nick

Thread revival...!

For those of you that have front mounted mulching mowers, are you happy with the results you get?  In particular, do you find that you're left with lots of grass cuttings on the lawn and, to avoid that, do you have to cut it very regularly?

I'm moving house in the near future and will need some kind of ride on mower.  The thought of continuously having to unload a grass collector and having a mountain of rotting grass is not very appealing so I'm trying to convince my wife that a front deck mulcher is the way to go. She is worried it will leave the lawn looking a mess.

Another question is whether it's practical to take the mowing deck off and use it as a tractor (e.g. for towing a trailer round the garden)?

Thanks

Nick

Don't get me started, or I'll never shut up about how much I love my new Stiga :)

There is only one word to describe the mulching - witchcraft - it has to be seen to be believed. 

Best cut every 7-10 days, but even after 2 weeks there is almost nothing to see on the surface, and certainly no mess to tread around or indoors - here is the result of a cut after 2 weeks (before : after)

IMG_20160815_173028131_zps3zidehul.jpg

No need to remove the deck, you can lift it to the tilted position and then happily tow a small trailer/ scarifier/ whatever.

Just need somewhere to hose the blades off after cutting as the grass turns into green concrete otherwise! 

Thanks. Very informative! Which model did you go for? Our new lawn will have a few slopes so I need something with a bit of grunt. I've been looking at the AWD Husqvanas with some interest. Sadly nobody seems to make a V8 version...

AWD is a good idea - I have the Stiga Park 420 with 95cm electric twin blade deck which copes with small slopes, but the videos of the 4WD are pretty good...

• 7 years later...
On 04/06/2016 at 16:13, BobMet said:

Had a Stiga Park Compact for the past 8 years or so. One acre garden with trees shrubs etc so strimming still needed every few weeks for neatness. Transmission failed a couple of years ago possibly because I opted for the more powerful ofthe two engines available (16 hp B and S)? Repair by local dealer (west Wales) was good value. Beware of running over obstacles (e.g. hidden hard rubber dog toys) as these will make a mess of the blades and possibly damage the nylon drive belt pulleys on the cutting deck (as with any other mower in the same price range I expect.) Overall I'm happy with my Stiga.

Hi Bob, when your transmission failed, do you know what they repaired? I'm having issues with the drive on my Park Pro, changed the belt and the hydraulic oil and filter, but still no real drive, it will move forward and back very slowly. Thanks,

I can't remember what they changed but I think it was a mechanical component inside the transmission.