Charity collection scam

bigals

Please take some time and have a read of the link below, basically a new type of charity scam that's operating just inside the law, and only a fraction of any money raised goes to the intended, currently operating in Newbury today, hope the link works OK and if you see any collections in your area just challenge them by asking what % ends up in their pockets. https://dralexmay.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/revealed-the-hidden-blackpool-company-presenting-itself-as-charity-support-the-heroes-to-recruit-paid-fundraisers/

Has been going on for ages. We often get the plastic clothing bag through the letterbox and it isn't until you read the tiny print that it is actually a limited company collecting 'on behalf' of a charity... and the 'on behalf' part means that the directors sell the clothing (abroad? to charity shops? recycle shops?) and 'a part' of the proceeds will go to the charity. Of course, the 'a part' is never specified and it probably ends up being a fraction of a percentage...

Yes the charity clothes bags most of them are very similar in the tiny percentage that's given to charity, I always take any old clothes to. The sally army bins

We've put things out in a bag but it's never been collected yet. Like bigals we tend to put old clothes in a Salvation Army or fireman's benevolent collection. Mind you, our stuff is SO old... :p

lots of my stuff is only good for oily rags by the time its been used for good, then work, then diy, still my wife has shares in most high street shops ;)

Please take some time and have a read of the link below, basically a new type of charity scam that's operating just inside the law, and only a fraction of any money raised goes to the intended, currently operating in Newbury today, hope the link works OK and if you see any collections in your area just challenge them by asking what % ends up in their pockets. https://dralexmay.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/revealed-the-hidden-blackpool-company-presenting-itself-as-charity-support-the-heroes-to-recruit-paid-fundraisers/

I think if you dig deep enough, this applies to the vast majority of charities.

Also, anyone ever looked into those £1 bag of sweet charities? Last one I saw only 10p of the £1 went as charity.

Lets not even mention the shoebox thing that goes on every xmas, where a hardline Christian organisation takes your donations and fills the boxes full of Christian anti-muslim propaganda and ships it of to locations in Africa where extremist groups will kill an entire village if they find with this stuff in their possession.

But, does anyone care? They give to charity, that eases their guilt for their exuberant lifestyles and gives them something to post on FB to make themselves look good.

I think if you dig deep enough, this applies to the vast majority of charities.

Also, anyone ever looked into those £1 bag of sweet charities? Last one I saw only 10p of the £1 went as charity.

Lets not even mention the shoebox thing that goes on every xmas, where a hardline Christian organisation takes your donations and fills the boxes full of Christian anti-muslim propaganda and ships it of to locations in Africa where extremist groups will kill an entire village if they find with this stuff in their possession.

But, does anyone care? They give to charity, that eases their guilt for their exuberant lifestyles and gives them something to post on FB to make themselves look good.

well said