North East Alpine Adventure 2016

Kingster

What a great story Chris.

This is what adventures and memories are made of.

Sorry it was not what you planned but it sounds epic all the same.

What a great story Chris.

This is what adventures and memories are made of.

Sorry it was not what you planned but it sounds epic all the same.

Indeed!

Sove some good'uns for the WW Mag.

I wanted to click on the "like" button but felt bad doing so.

I wanted to click on the "like" button but felt bad doing so.

Haha go for it!

Lol, sounds like any other euro trip.. Always catastrophic!

With regards to sat nav. I use android. Tom tom do a version specific for smart fones, its the full version and has been great so far for me. Setting multiple points is the key. Dont just rely on a to b. Actually plant a point on the road you want. You have to plan it of course though.

Google maps is rubbish for directions like a sat nav.. Firstly you need a connection! With a sat nav you have the whole map already downloaded. I also use the sony experia, its waterproof, so i dont worry about rain., have even just popped it in my coat pocket if needs be, in a food bag listen to it. Can pop the food bag over it while fixed in fone holder on dash. Use the charger while the screens on.

I also plan my routes into my satnav.

The day before I empty the days routes and plot in all my stops for the next day into the satnav. I then carry the days route on a piece of paper. As I come close to each place, I look at my piece of paper and click on the next destination down the list.

I then go where I want to go and not where the satnav tells me to go.

I use a TomTom 1000. It is touch screen and has always been ok in the wet. it is behind a windscreen though.

You can cashe maps in Google Maps and use directions offline without using data/requiring connection. :)

Agree that It's directions can sometimes be a bit random! :(

Chris

While I am getting my car ready for next years adventure, what size drain holes do you recomend I drill in the floor??

You can cashe maps in Google Maps and use directions offline without using data/requiring connection. :)

Agree that It's directions can sometimes be a bit random! :(

Its only good for searching for places, sat nav.. Use a proper one

Chris

While I am getting my car ready for next years adventure, what size drain holes do you recomend I drill in the floor??

mine are 8mm. Watch out for brake and fuel lines!

Its only good for searching for places, sat nav.. Use a proper one

got that now and paper will be added!

My problem was reliance on a mate that through no fault was not there. Also thought I'd have ability to load routes and left it too late to fix that failure.

Lol, sounds like any other euro trip.. Always catastrophic!

With regards to sat nav. I use android. Tom tom do a version specific for smart fones, its the full version and has been great so far for me. Setting multiple points is the key. Dont just rely on a to b. Actually plant a point on the road you want. You have to plan it of course though.

Google maps is rubbish for directions like a sat nav.. Firstly you need a connection! With a sat nav you have the whole map already downloaded. I also use the sony experia, its waterproof, so i dont worry about rain., have even just popped it in my coat pocket if needs be, in a food bag listen to it. Can pop the food bag over it while fixed in fone holder on dash. Use the charger while the screens on.

Despite problems it's not put me off. On ferry back we were all talking about "next year" :)

mine are 8mm. Watch out for brake and fuel lines!

I was thinking after your exploits, a vist to Plumbase to buy some bath plug holes would be more appropriate than 8mm holes!!