Speedo too small

FRENCHMICK

Hi I am getting used to the Megablade, it goes really well, however one small moan,I have a SPA tacho with a small display with the mph, when I am travelling at 30mph the needle is moving back and forth across the mph display, not good when there is a speed camera and not knowing the exact speed.

Has anyone come across a gps speedo or maybe another solution.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Cheers,

Mick

Hello.

I had a similar problem with my VDO speedometer.

I had the speed sensor moved from the propshaft area to the front wheel and it now works spot on.

• Like 2

I tend to use the GPS speedo on my Garmin sat.nav. Clear and accurate!

• Like 1

Yes just take your sat navigation on top of the transmission tunnel. If you are only doing 30mph there is plenty of time to look at it. Also you can just check the revs per 1000rpm and work out the revs to make 30mph ,easy to check then.

Cheers

• Like 1

Also you can just check the revs per 1000rpm and work out the revs to make 30mph ,easy to check then.

Cheers

That's not so easy with a BEC though,as you have numerous gears you could be in travelling at 30mph so the revs can vary quite a lot!

Hello.

I had a similar problem with my VDO speedometer.

I had the speed sensor moved from the propshaft area to the front wheel and it now works spot on.

If nothing else you could try this solution by Geoffrey above using some temporary wiring. If it does solve the issue then wire it in properly.

Some more info on the front wheel sensor setup.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/117633-front-wheel-speed-sensors/

Have we all missed the OP's question?

From the sound of it, his speedo is working fine, but the display is one of those tiny lcd read outs at the bottom of the Rev counter, and if I read it correctly, he's saying that it's frequently obstructed by the Rev counters needle as it sweeps round.

All he wants is advice on a basic secondary speedo he can fix where he can see it...

(Sorry, no experiance of the bike type speedos myself)

• Like 1

You could be right Dave but I read it as 'driving at 30mph needle keeps moving back and forth' which I took to be the issue. The revs shouldn't change if driving at 30mph.

:/

I Think you are right Dave.

A simple solution in that case could be a wireless bicycle speedo - they are cheap and easy to try out by affixing a magnet to somewhere suitable. I actually bought a wired one just for the sender and use that with a tiny magnet on a drive shaft along with with a std VDO speedo - works a treat.

Probably not much use at night, but for under £10 at Lidl/Aldi it's worth a punt!

ETA - found a backlit one too - OK might not go over 99mph/kph but will do the job at 30 :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Transmission-Speedometer-Backlight-Resistant/dp/B01AVQY74W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41flJSvTrbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=T3KQYHP7AMH7KM2802N1

• Like 1

You could be right Dave but I read it as 'driving at 30mph needle keeps moving back and forth' which I took to be the issue. The revs shouldn't change if driving at 30mph.

:/

:d

But the only needle is on the tacho...

I presume it's one of these (or similar):

tacho-w-b-16c_27.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhhhh right in that case not at all what I was thinking of.

And looking at that it's clear to see the issue.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, yes my rev counter / speedo is exactly the same, so you can see the issue.

I have now got around the problem by fitting my motor bike gps,it's a Tomtom which is weather proof.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Mick

I would imagine you're too busy watching the shift lights to worry about your speed :rolleyes:

• Like 1