What does yours weigh?

Olliebeak

Out of curiosity while out today I called in at a weighbridge close by to see what my car weighed. I was pleasantly surprised to find it weighed 560KG I was expecting around 750KG. 

It is a 2001 SEW , 1600 xflow, live rear axle, aeroscreen , half doors, no spare, and tools etc taken out.  

I now have a mission to 'add lightness'  first step may be the large Halfrauds 30ah battery, I cant see me getting down to FW levels as it gets a bit expensive with alloy calipers, uprights hubs etc.  If I used it on the track it may be different , at the moment the car is fast enough for me.

Results from the annual Essex weighing session here:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/107990-essex-weight-watchers-8th-june-9am/page-5

Yours is about right for an xflow, mine was 570kg. Its the later wide models with the zetecs that break the scales  :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

Name Car / Car & Driver
Alex 531.0 / 620.5 (Narrow, 1.6 4AGE, aeroscreen)
Pete 556.0 / 638.5 (Narrow, 1.6 VX, screen )
Kevin 570.5 668.5 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen)
Marcus 573.0 / 650.5 (Wide, 1.6 Mazda, aeroscreen)
Chris 575.5 / 676.5 (Narrow, 2.0 VX, aeroscreen + Cage )
Mark 592.0 / 656.0 (Wide, 1.6 Mazda, screen)
Tim 595.0 / 687.0 (Wide, 1.6 Sigma, screen)
Bernie 595.5 / 693.0 (Wide, 2.0 VX, screen)
Andy 597.0 / 681.0 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen)
Graham 601.0 / 702.0 (Wide, 1.6 X-Flow, aeroscreen)
Dave 609.5 / 684.5 (Wide, 1.8 Mazda, aeroscreen)
Mike 621.5 / 710.5 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, screen)
Stuart 636.0 / 723.0 (Wide, 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen) 

............ Its the later wide models with the zetecs that break the scales  :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

Sure is....... 625kg of Lardiness (without me :down:  )

• Like 1

Interesting stuff, looks like I will never make 400KG but 540 may be achievable, could remove the passenger seat, and perhaps the runners on the drivers, the RAC roll bar must weigh a bit I would prefer the standard Westfield 50mm bar. This could get addictive!

A lithium ion battery can be well under 1kg, loads of weight to be saved there.

A lightweight billet flywheel will also save you bare KGs and the car will rev more quickly.

Mines 511kg full of fuel

Out of curiosity while out today I called in at a weighbridge close by to see what my car weighed. I was pleasantly surprised to find it weighed 560KG I was expecting around 750KG. 

It is a 2001 SEW , 1600 xflow, live rear axle, aeroscreen , half doors, no spare, and tools etc taken out.  

I now have a mission to 'add lightness'  first step may be the large Halfrauds 30ah battery, I cant see me getting down to FW levels as it gets a bit expensive with alloy calipers, uprights hubs etc.  If I used it on the track it may be different , at the moment the car is fast enough for me.

Really heavy parts on your spec are going to be a) engine b) gearbox c) rear axle

It's amazing just how much a Type 9 / 2000e gearbox weighs for example - also check what material the bellhousing is made of (magnets come in handy here)  :)

You could change just about all of the above for alloy based items but it's obviously a cost/hassle/availability/upgrade-itus decision ???

496.6kg with 30% full tank... add 79.3 for me with helmet :)

Do you use 30% so you can tell yourself it's under 500kgs? :p

496.6kg with 30% full tank... add 79.3 for me with helmet :)

So with 30% fuel that would have mine about 495 with a cage ;-)

^ then I get in and completely ruin it lol

• Like 1

^ then I get in and completely ruin it lol

Haha I have the same problem!

Mines 528kgs - I need more carbon to get down to your car weight :d

• Like 1