Stoneleigh - New Blood Wanted

Andy Banks

Form an orderly queue, no pushing; you'll all get your chance...

Right then. About time, we think, to hand off to a new organisation team for Stoneleigh 2017 and beyond. Ian and Marcus have done a cracking job over the last two years as organisers and managers and have previously supported me in the past. I've been doing this for six or more years and certainly full time for 4 years.

I'll still be here as Shows and Events Coordinator which means I'll still have a big part to play in all our shows and events (clearly...) but Ian and Marcus will step aside and I'll take a bit more of a back-seat when we've done a handover to the new team.

So what do you need to do then...?

Step one, don't panic! It's really not that difficult. If you can read, operate a phone and eMail and generally get on with people then you'll be fine, essentially it's all been documented, you just need to read from a script and make sure things are ordered and chased down at the appropriate time - it's actually what we have done for the past couple of years.

Step two, given the above, it still takes a little dedication and attention to detail, the most onerous piece is gathering all the volunteer names and details, checking against membership databases and sharing people info with the Stoneleigh management team at Grosvenor Shows so we can all get in.

Step three, if you've come this far, well done you. There is a document attached to this thread, please read it, it tells you everything and more.

Step four, come back here, PM or call me with your questions and I'll answer them.

Step five, put yourself forward and we will if practical arrange to meet as a group later in the year for a few beers and do the handover.

What I think has worked well for me from a support perspective as well as logistics is to work with close friends or Club Members from the same or neighbouring area. It’s here where you win as you will always find someone willing to help you pick up the show kit which is located about 45mins away from Stoneleigh and someone will always know someone with a trailer or van for the purpose, even if you don’t, hiring one locally works too and there is no issue with doing this.

Additionally, there is tremendous support from the Committee and practically everything can be expensed so you’ll not be out of pocket. To be honest, so much has been done and purchased to date that there will be limited expenses going forward in any case.

So that’s a brief synopsis of the key points I think you’ll be wondering about, but as noted in step three, it’s all documented and you should read on.

A couple of you have already come forward and offered to take up the challenge for which we are eternally grateful, but I’d like to think there are more and I believe it would be so much easier if there were at least four of you, so you can support each other and back each other up, certainly for the first one.

So please have a think and talk to me when you are ready.

Thank you.

WSCC Stoneleigh Organsation Guide 16-17.pdf

• Like 3

I'm going to keep this short and sweet - Ian and Marcus have done a fantastic job with Stoneleigh, all guided, assisted and supported by Andy, who's done a damned good job himself. This year's Stoneleigh is the best I can remember, mainly due to them but also due to all the members who volunteered and gave of their time.

The guide, planning, support and mechanisms are all in place to put on Stoneleigh, but Ian and Marcus have earned their retirement. We have talented, intelligent, focused members who can step in to take up the mantle and it's not a question of wanting to hear from you, we NEED to hear from you - and soon!

I will sweeten the pot a bit as well. I'll guarantee next year's budget will once again include beer and outside catering on Sunday night, but also the members of the new Stoneleigh organising team (up to four people), upon successful delivery and completion of the show each year, will receive a free year of club membership as a thanks and in appreciation of their hard work.

Please be someone special - make a difference. Thanks!

• Like 4

Just a gentle nudge for those that I've not yet spoken to and a reminder that there are some great ideas in the feedback thread, you could make a real difference next year.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So now you've read it in the mag too. I've been contacted by a couple of Members who re have said they are happy to step up which is great. I'd like to think there are more of you out there though.

Please can you give this some serious thought, it's pretty easy these days as it's all written down and all our suppliers know us and know what to do, it just needs you to inject something new/different for 2017. When I have a couple more, I'll arrange a meetup equidistant to everyone to run you all through it.

Of course I'll still be here to help, escalate, etc and Ian has volunteered to do the BBQ for the volunteers (we are having the post AGM food catered again next year).

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Bump

Just to reiterate, the existing team have retired and therefore are not doing Stoneleigh next year, time to hand off to some new blood.

C'mon, where are you...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All. Three names in the frame now, for which many thanks.

We will be meeting face2face at Blyton (date and time to be decided), if anyone else is going to Blyton and has an interest in lending a hand with Stoneleigh next year please shout as you'd be very welcome to come a listen in and ask any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very pleased :d  to report that we now a new full team behind Stoneleigh 2017.

Please welcome :ww:  and please offer your support to:

• Stu Faulkner - "finkangel"
  • Dominic Banks - "dombanks"
  • Marcus Barlow - "marcusb"
  • Geoffrey Carter - "Buttercup"
  • Trevor Little - "Trevturtle"

I trust everyone will make them very welcome and most importantly, lend a hand by signing up to help out when the time comes for what is likely to be an even better Stoneleigh than 2016 :)

Any thoughts an ideas that the new team may want to consider, please add to the 2016 feedback thread here.

:t-up:  T H A N K S  :t-up: 

• Like 4