Car Munching

Northwarks

struuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuufffffffffff

the engine put up a good fight !! - I may have nightmares after watching this :suspect:

• Like 1

Didn't think the engine block would get chewed up-------but it did.    Impressive machine.

I think the damage might polish out although the engine probably needs the timing re-set....

That's rubbish. Company that I worked for has shredders that will process up to 450 complete cars per hour into pieces the size of your fist. Complete Transit vans no problem

That's rubbish. Company that I worked for has shredders that will process up to 450 complete cars per hour into pieces the size of your fist. Complete Transit vans no problem

Yeah I saw a flailing machine that could rip apart a car in minutes - did make a hell of a noise and mess tho', this seemed more sedate and I imagine the bits were lots smaller. I'd imagine its seen as crude from a recycling point of view as plastics and all the rats nests have to be taken out at some point .. I don't think I could watch one of my own cars going through it .. although I can think of a few cars I've worked on that deserve the punishment, a 1980s Fiat Panda comes to mind.

Yeah I saw a flailing machine that could rip apart a car in minutes - did make a hell of a noise and mess tho', this seemed more sedate and I imagine the bits were lots smaller. I'd imagine its seen as crude from a recycling point of view as plastics and all the rats nests have to be taken out at some point .. I don't think I could watch one of my own cars going through it .. although I can think of a few cars I've worked on that deserve the punishment, a 1980s Fiat Panda comes to mind.

450 cars per hour is one every 8 seconds!  it's brute force followed by sophistication - idea is to liberate and separate.  Steel is separated by a huge rotary magnet and the remainder is air classified into 2 fractions.  In the most sophisticated processes, aluminium is then separated by eddy current or floating in a dense liquid then all the other metals are separated by induction and/or colour sorting.  Even the bits of wiring loom can be sorted these days.  Plastics recycling after the metals have been grabbed is also on the increase, with some of what's left going to energy from waste plants.  Pretty soon only 5% of a scrap car will end up in landfill. 

Jeez 8s ... staggering figure 

They should have a trap door into one of those on the Britains got talent stage.

And both the Houses of Parliment and Holyrood