Installing an immobiliser into loom before build?

Thrustyjust

Is this a sensible thing to do or just something that is another thing to go wrong? Does it save much on your insurance ? I fitted a Meta to my pre lit many years ago and its still working. If it is worth fitting, then any recommendations ? I have seen the Meta on CBS for £60 which seems cheap, but wonder if a toggle rather than a plug in would be better ?

I looked into this some time ago so it may well have changed, but unless the work is done by an authorised installer, the insurance don't accept it, so you get nowt off. You still get some peace of mind though. I did a DIY install as I didn't want anyone messing with my build.

Fit it after IVA. Else it will have to meet IVA requirements.

Fit it after IVA. Else it will have to meet IVA requirements.

I thought they only checked it on IVA if you are using it as one of your two security devices required for IVA?

Interesting. Never thought it would affect that !!

I'm not sure it does if you have two other security devices,ie an ignition key and a steering lock.

If you only have an ignition key and no secondary security item your immobiliser then needs to be fitted by a Thatcham approved fitter with a certificate as proof.

My Sterling Excell was neither looked at nor commented on at the IVA. But then I do have an ignition key and steering lock.

It's much easier to build in at the wiring stage, and in operation is completely invisible, it just does its thing, in the background.

• Like 1

Just remember chaps, posting in a public forum how your car is immobilised is risky. Keep it brief without giving much away.

With regards to immobilisers, in my mind the more you slow down a possible attack the better. Another thought could be electric fuel switch. Really hard to get at if placed right. You could even have multiples of the same thing. Another way would be to cover up the bottom of the dash area with ally sheet. Leaving it open makes it easy to attack by adding extra wires by passing immobiliser..